X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am wearing my polished leather black hiking boots occasionally on my kilt outings and getting good feedback. My view is going to this being a nice way to make a dressed up outfit a bit more relaxed. I noted a comment by Rocky from USA kilts on a recent YouTube video suggesting combat boots which seem more casual to me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to me that this is largely a national difference. Those in favour of boots often seem to be countrymen. Those less favourable, of different nations.

It's interesting to me that national preferences are informing the wearing of one nation's national dress.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear boots if dressing very casually - mainly if I am off to the rugby but also when I am running tours if the activity involves a bit of hiking or jumping on and off boats etc or is somewhat casual in nature. In these instances I usually wear hiking boots - but I do also have a pair of Timberland's with brogue wingtips - however these also have a thick hiking type sole. I have seen smarter looking wingtip boots - but I can't say it's a look I favour.

I did once wear a pair of Chelsea/Dealer style boots - more out of necessity as I was traveling and didn't really have the space to take an extra pair just to wear with my kilt. Perhaps the only time I have felt a little self-conscious when kilted. I just didn't think this was a "look" that worked.

That said - most often I just wear brogue shoes (not ghillies) regardless as to the formality of the occasion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Awex14 View Post
    I am officially coming out in opposition to the “no boots” crowd. I think boots tend to compliment kilts very nicely. The height of the boots combined with your kilt hose makes for a well proportioned look. Similar to how people lace ghillie brogues up so high. It gives that same proportionality to the outfit. That being said, I do not think you should wear any kind of hiking boots to a wedding unless it is extremely informal.

The issue is one of picking the right boots. I often wear wingtip boots from a company called Thursday Boots with my kilt and think they look very smart with a tweed jacket and vest along with a dress shirt and tie. This would be a very smart look for a day time wedding. You can definitely also wear oxfords, but I like the boots better. Even in strict “morning dress” (daytime white tie), balmoral boots are appropriate. My boots are not balmorals, they’re a bit less formal. But the brogueing compliments highland attire nicely and the profile is sleek and elegant.

For an evening wedding or a more formal affair, I’d stick to the ghillies or wingtip oxfords. No matter what, brogue is the way.

EDIT: these are the boots I use https://thursdayboots.com/products/m...-boot-color-77
    I think the proportion aspect you mention is really covered by kilt hose.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will confess that I enjoy boots with my kilt when I am dressed casually. This would include hiking boots. But I would not be wearing them to a wedding or other dress-up occasion. For me boots go with a t-shirt, turtleneck or other informal look.

With a tweed jacket and vest, or any other time I would wear a tie, I would go with a pair of dress shoes--either brogues or cap-toed oxford style. If it's full-on black tie, with my Prince Charlie, I have a pair of patent leather oxfords that I wear. But I would generally expect black tie would be confined to the wedding party at an evening wedding. As a wedding guest, I would wear the tweed jacket, vest, and dress shoes--as I recently did at my son's wedding. I was the only guest kilted, but the bride specifically asked me to wear the kilt. Her mother wore a sari, so I was not the only example of "national dress" at the event. My son wore a business suit, with wing-tip dress shoes.

Andrew

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I find amusing about this discussion is that I wore wing tips almost exclusively for work and dress for thirty years and haven't had a pair in twenty years since the business world went casual and now I am contemplating going retro and buying a pair. World can be strange.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear my hiking boots with my kilt when hiking.

Those sand coloured Caterpillar boots used to be popular with kilts worn casually but it reminds me of the 90's.

Personally I don't think that boots go well with kilts.

If I am going to something casual I'll wear brogues or monk straps work well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123