X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jthk View Post
    I wonder if a person didn't have your extensive experience and education (I mean this as a complimen), would they still think that the great kilt was a historical costume? I doubt it. ;-)
    I think to most in Scotland educated or not (and lets not forget, by the way, that most in Scotland don't wear the kilt at all, ever) would consider the great kilt as an unnecessary garment. Historical? Yes. Relevant to todays situations? Absolutely not. But then, most here in Scotland, don't have these romantic thoughts-------apart from romantic thoughts about winning a football championship!---------- that some of those outwith these shores seem to have.

As seen at the latest international football matches the kilt in its more modern form is the way the kilt is worn by the Scots supporters. Albeit in many different ways! So yes, from the Scots point of view, the great kilt , particularly so in a non tartan form, would be thought of as being most definitely a historical and an irrelevant theatrical costume.

Sorry, but you did ask.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 27th July 24 at 10:59 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, too, think the plaid is unnecessary and historic; completely irrelevant to many common situations in the 21st century. I agree with you ... doesn't stop me from liking it. I'm familiar with the standard romantic thoughts of which you mention and which I do not share. As clearly as I can tell from my perspective, I possess no detectable romantic notions or thoughts about Scotland or the plaid. Scotland has some nice places -- I've been many times, and I know you live there -- but there are many nice places in the world. The historic plaid and it's traditional grandchild, the tailored traditional kilt, are nice and I like them plenty but my interest in them has virtually nothing to do with any "romantic" images or impressions -- I just like 'em as garments.

I'm an Irish-speaking North American who splits his time between rural western New England and Ireland ... with travels to other places when time and finances permit. To many, I'm "odd" (or whatever adjective you wish to insert here) for simply wearing garments that aren't trousers. So, with a plaid, I'm still "odd."

No loss.

Best to you and yours, Jock.
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I think to most in Scotland educated or not (and lets not forget, by the way, that most in Scotland don't wear the kilt at all, ever) would consider the great kilt as an unnecessary garment. Historical? Yes. Relevant to todays situations? Absolutely not. But then, most here in Scotland, don't have these romantic thoughts-------apart from romantic thoughts about winning a football championship!---------- that some of those outwith these shores seem to have.

As seen at the latest international football matches the kilt in its more modern form is the way the kilt is worn by the Scots supporters. Albeit in many different ways! So yes, from the Scots point of view, the great kilt , particularly so in a non tartan form, would be thought of as being most definitely a historical and an irrelevant theatrical costume.

Sorry, but you did ask.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

CBH

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, too, think the plaid is unnecessary and historic; completely irrelevant to many common situations in the 21st century. I agree with you ... doesn't stop me from liking it. I'm familiar with the standard romantic thoughts of which you mention and which I do not share. As clearly as I can tell from my perspective, I possess no detectable romantic notions or thoughts about Scotland or the plaid. Scotland has some nice places -- I've been many times, and I know you live there -- but there are many nice places in the world. The historic plaid and it's traditional grandchild, the tailored traditional kilt, are nice and I like them plenty but my interest in them has virtually nothing to do with any "romantic" images or impressions -- I just like 'em as garments.

I'm an Irish-speaking North American who splits his time between rural western New England and Ireland ... with travels to other places when time and finances permit. To many, I'm "odd" (or whatever adjective you wish to insert here) for simply wearing garments that aren't trousers. So, with a plaid, I'm still "odd."

No loss.

Best to you and yours, Jock.
    Jonathan
    We both are privileged to have the freedom of choice with what we might wear. You asked a question and you had an answer. What happens after that is entirely your affair.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 27th July 24 at 10:58 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock, pardon the correction but I didn't ask any questions; I wanted to provide a different perspective to Matt (the OP) than what was provided.

Cheerios.

We both are privileged to have the freedom of choice with what we might wear. You asked a question and you had an answer. What happens after that is entirely your affair.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if a person didn't have your extensive experience and education (I mean this as a complimen), would they still think that the great kilt was a historical costume? I doubt it. ;-)
    I don't want to split hairs here but, I think a question mark denotes a question.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to split hairs here but, I think a question mark denotes a question.
    Split hairs, welcome! That's very fair. ;-)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Split hairs, welcome! That's very fair. ;-)
    No worries my dear chap.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123