X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a UK based site that has casual kilts both wool and pv. https://clan.com/products/kilts-and-highlandwear/kilts
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    This is a UK based site that has casual kilts both wool and pv. https://clan.com/products/kilts-and-highlandwear/kilts
    Looks like it's ScotWeb and Dr Nicholas J Fiddes. Interestingly he's listed as having been involved with a dozen different firms (mostly interrelated).

Many of those prices seem quite low. There's around $300 to $400 in fabric in an 8-yard kilt, at those prices it only leaves around $50 for labour.

(Kilt prices are obviously fabric cost + labour cost, there's no getting around that.)
    Last edited by OC Richard; 13th June 24 at 11:46 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    As noted above, they do seem to have extraordinary prices.

Has anyone bought a kilt from them ?

https://stkildastore.com/store/Kilts...rd-Casual-Kilt is also comparatively reasonable too. Each claims their kilts are made on-site in Scotland with 100% new wool.

Turnaround times are good too. The only "catch" I found was many tartans were apparently only woven to order, and thus tripled the cost or more.

Anxious to get feedback on either site.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Looks like it's ScotWeb and Dr Nicholas J Fiddes.
    Indeed it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like it's ScotWeb and Dr Nicholas J Fiddes. Interestingly he's listed as having been involved with a dozen different firms (mostly interrelated).

Many of those prices seem quite low. There's around $300 to $400 in fabric in an 8-yard kilt, at those prices it only leaves around $50 for labour.

(Kilt prices are obviously fabric cost + labour cost, there's no getting around that.)
    Those are, indeed, extremely low prices, considering. Perhaps they are selling at a loss? Hopefully not going out of business.🤞
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhockin View Post
    Those are, indeed, extremely low prices, considering. Perhaps they are selling at a loss?
    If not selling at a loss, the fabric is costing less than the ordinary prices for UK-woven kilting cloth and/or the kiltmaking labour is costing less than the going rate in the UK. What other possibilities exist?
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If not selling at a loss, the fabric is costing less than the ordinary prices for UK-woven kilting cloth and/or the kiltmaking labour is costing less than the going rate in the UK. What other possibilities exist?
    I would expect that the fabric used is fabric they weave in-house, so perhaps they aren’t marking- up the cost of the fabric, to keep the skilled craftspeople ( weavers and kilt makers) employed, in hopes of better days ahead? 🤞
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CBH View Post
    As noted above, they do seem to have extraordinary prices.

Has anyone bought a kilt from them ?

https://stkildastore.com/store/Kilts...rd-Casual-Kilt is also comparatively reasonable too. Each claims their kilts are made on-site in Scotland with 100% new wool.

Turnaround times are good too. The only "catch" I found was many tartans were apparently only woven to order, and thus tripled the cost or more.

Anxious to get feedback on either site.
    I have purchased 4 kilts (1 made to measure, 1 clearance, 2 ex-hire) and an Argyll tweed jacket from St Kilda Kilts... they are decent quality, and the people I have made contact with. In the firm are very pleasant and extremely helpful. I would recommend them. I would suggest keeping watch on the clearance section of the website, as they often have good values in there.

I have also bought 3 ex-hire kilts from kilts 4 less... the quality of the kilts were not as high a standard as the St Kilda ex-hire kilts. If you can, you might want to travel to the Glasgow area and visit with both businesses (might need to schedule an appointment). There are likely other businesses in that area as well.

Best of luck with finding your kilt!

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kitfoxdave For This Useful Post:

CBH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we're talking about ScotsWeb/Clan.com (and others) then he is not eating it on the fabric. Yeah, the product page shows a 7yd kilt base price of $300ish USD, but when you choose your fabric, that base price doubles, triples and even quadruples for some tartans. The tartan finder on the website does not indicate which mills the fabrics come from so I can't compare prices with other retailers, but I guess he's making a decent profit on the fabric when you consider the final cost.

Years ago when I started getting into kilts, he was one of the few people selling online, and he had a few different websites. There were a lot of mixed reviews. Some people were happy and some definitely were not. Poor customer service was the biggest complaint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some clan.com kilts. One supposedly hand sewn kilt needs the pleats repressed. I suspect the kilts are being made elsewhere, St Kildas perhaps.

My original had info about KA. I am deleting that.

I received an Inverness Cape from KA. They had two orders in progress. I received a jacket that was intended for another customer and will need to be get sent back.
    KA did ask me how cape looked size wise. I will probably send them a picture. I have not messed with the jacket too much because of the mistake.
    The workmanship seems very nice.

The cape that I received was in a Marton Mills navy (CHE160). I ordered Lovat Ettrick 860. I wanted the heavier fabric for durability.
    Last edited by AustinDiver; 2nd July 24 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Update, I di not want to knock down KA.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast