X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Australian "Utilikilts"?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Stag View Post
    I sent Utilikilts an e-mail with a link to the OZ kilts site so they can get on them. It must happen often as Utilikilts has an e-mail just for copyright violations.
    lol - I sent an email to them on Saturday as well. The gal who responded did not seem too happy about it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's Shaun Waterford here, owner of OZKILTS.com
    I might say, what a bunch of whingers.
    The fact is, the original photos were supplied by the manufacturer and now have been removed.
    Ours is simular to the American Utility kilt, because it is a kilt.
    Ours is fundementally different in the way that the waist is adjustable.
    Ours also is a third of the price so most can afford one.

So run on off and report that as well.

Kilts for all those who want one, that's my motto.

Shaun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shaaaauuun...

I feel your pain, but there is no denying, the photo's you displayed as YOUR products were in fact, NOT your products. They were the products of others and it was you who published them and therefore you who didn't do the proper research. If your kilts are fundamentally different, why not show pictures of YOUR kilts.

No one is knocking your philosophy of Kilts for all, I for one admire it greatly but we are just dubious that you appear to be making your coin on the back of other peoples efforts and reputations. Change your pictures and descriptions (if you haven't already) to show OZKILTS as they actually are and not a copied Utilikilt or RKilt or any other type of kilt that you clearly don't sell and all will be sweet in the world.

And when someone starts ripping off your designs, someone here will discover it and will be able to let YOU know.

If you are in fact selling kilts of your own design... I do sincerely wish you every success, it's not a business I'd venture into so you have more pluck than me. But calling everyone whingers because we are discussing what appears to be possible copyright theft, isn't a great way to endear yourself to the kilt buying masses on this site. Only my opinion of course but if that's part of your marketing strategy too, then you press on mate.

Best of luck!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shaun, I don't much like contemporary kilts, although I respect those who choose them. One or two have actually looked attractive to me, and the thought has crossed my mind.

I do, however, like my friends here on XMarks, and insulting them with name calling does not make you look to me like a reputable dealer. Neither does the failure to simply take and post pictures of your own product.

I support the members of this forum who were unhappy about your marketing choices. I'm sorry to think that your best recourse is to start calling names. I will not be dealing with you.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, I would say this site has a larger potential customer base than most of the Internet, but if anyone were to now search the forum for information about OZKILTS or even just kilts from Australia, this thread seems like it would only turn away a potential customer. As English Bloke said, this isn't an easy industry to begin with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to agree - calling potential customers names is an interesting business practice.

But, I was interested enough to look at the OZ kilts site, even after being called a "whiner."

I saw one of the pics on the site (the shirtless guy with the guitar) is a customer-submitted photo from the Utilikilts site, so I guess Shaun hasn't gotten around to getting all those borrowed photos off his site yet.

Copyright infringement - another interesting business practice.
    "You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." -Obi Wan Kenobi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by English Bloke View Post
    Shaaaauuun...

I feel your pain, but there is no denying, the photo's you displayed as YOUR products were in fact, NOT your products. They were the products of others and it was you who published them and therefore you who didn't do the proper research. If your kilts are fundamentally different, why not show pictures of YOUR kilts.

No one is knocking your philosophy of Kilts for all, I for one admire it greatly but we are just dubious that you appear to be making your coin on the back of other peoples efforts and reputations. Change your pictures and descriptions (if you haven't already) to show OZKILTS as they actually are and not a copied Utilikilt or RKilt or any other type of kilt that you clearly don't sell and all will be sweet in the world.

And when someone starts ripping off your designs, someone here will discover it and will be able to let YOU know.

If you are in fact selling kilts of your own design... I do sincerely wish you every success, it's not a business I'd venture into so you have more pluck than me. But calling everyone whingers because we are discussing what appears to be possible copyright theft, isn't a great way to endear yourself to the kilt buying masses on this site. Only my opinion of course but if that's part of your marketing strategy too, then you press on mate.

Best of luck!
    Well said!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shaun,
    Welcome to xmarks.
    Thanks for taking down the photos of my product off your website a couple of weeks ago. My issue is with your supplier who's done a knock-off of my product and then supplies you with photos from my website. Fortunately I have seen this product up close, and it's a far cry from what I make. (Given that it costs you $26/kilt I can see how you can make money)
    I see that this thread may run parallel to another thread started a couple of years ago. This chap was touting that he was selling kilts he got from Scotland made out of wool for a fraction of what was on the market then. He really didn't do his research and as a result his business went belly up in short order. The kilts were South Asian made, from man made fibres and he was using photos from his supplier that were the property of other well known companies (unfortunately not to him)
    Here's the link
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...tish-ca-45887/

So, in fact, the members here are giving you some advice so that you, might be successful as a trusted retailer.
    Yes a kilt is a kilt, however, each maker has a trademark, as it were, a style, or take, on it that identifies it as a brand. As a reseller you will get to know these brands, and what sets them apart.

English Bloke has given, in my mind, some very sage advice.

Possibly you could convey the problems you are incurring with the supplied photo's to your supplier and tell them to wise up, whether they will listen, who knows?

All the best
    Robert,
    Owner, designer and maker of the genuine "RKilt"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For information.

There are other replies from Shaun which are currently going through moderation so please do not assume that he does not wish to reply to matters raised.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    Shaun,
    Welcome to xmarks.

Robert,
    Owner, designer and maker of the genuine "RKilt"
    And this is all I would want because the Genuine RKilt is a great kilt and the quality of the materials, workmanship and service is exemplary.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast