X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BroosterB1 View Post
    Looks like I'll Have to be getting an Argyle as well...And use sunscreen with the PC.
    Sunscreen? The Prince Charlie is evening wear... I don't think you'll need much in the way of sunscreen.

Frank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander31 View Post
    . . . Unfortunately, many people in this country wear a hat indoors and think nothing of it.
    I, too, think very little of it.

I know of only one anomaly in the application of the "no cover indoors" rule: a hotel lobby is not indoors. But this may be a custom that has died since the mid-20th century. (" . . . more honored in the breach than th' observance . . .")

"No man is genuinely happy, married, who has to drink worse whiskey than he used to drink when he was single." ---- H. L. Mencken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    however i dont take my hat off in church ... now before ya ready your stones ... it is stated in the old testament that you shall not enter the house of the lord with your head uncovered ... that being said im midwestern and we dont get out of bed without a hat
    Reverend Chevalier Christopher Adam Dow II KStI

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dowofbuchanan View Post
    however i dont take my hat off in church ... now before ya ready your stones ... it is stated in the old testament that you shall not enter the house of the lord with your head uncovered ... that being said im midwestern and we dont get out of bed without a hat
    All the Midwesterners in my family were raised (myself included) to always remove your hat indoors.

Todd

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    If you are looking for an example from a Scotsman then who else but Scotland's First Minister, Alex Salmond -
    I'm just an ugly American... but that looks terrible to my eyes!

Personally, I'm with the native Scots here- no hat looks good with black tie attire. However, given the fact that in Denver, it get's rather cold and windy, it would be foolish to let fashion dictate to common sense. I'd say a Balmoral would be acceptable, but to beat the dead horse a little more... Eh, never mind.
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander31 View Post
    Well said. Unfortunately, many people in this country wear a hat indoors and think nothing of it.
    Yes. And they wear them everywhere! I go to my mother's church twice a month, and it never fails- there's someone wearing a hat- in services! And they say I'm a heathen...
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But since I am follicley challenged(bald), I must needs wear a hat.
    There's always this option:

Toupee: Perfect for all occasions!

Also, I believe it would be considered perfectly good form to wear a kippah or other head covering while attending a service at a synagogue (e.g., as a guest at a wedding)... though I also suppose it's not likely that such an occasion would warrant black tie.
    Last edited by Tim Little; 17th December 08 at 01:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Little View Post
    There's always this option:

Toupee: Perfect for all occasions!

Also, I believe it would be considered perfectly good form to wear a kippah or other head covering while attending a service at a synagogue (e.g., as a guest at a wedding)... though I also suppose it's not likely that such an occasion would warrant black tie.
    That thing looks like some animal that tried to eat his head! ...or is it just me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outdoors was assumed, only heathens and the unschooled would wear a hat indoors.
    And of course women

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WARPIPER View Post
    Yes, it is sad, but the new NASCAR culture that is challenging good manners of all sorts has set a new social norm of hats indoors in the US.
    Sad, but true.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast