X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlpope View Post
    Scots Gaelic was spoken by the Highlanders who settled in the Cape Fear region of NC (modern Fayetteville), but that's a long way from the Outer Banks and a different settlement pattern.

Scots Gaelic died out in the Cape Fear region after the American Civil War.[/url]
    Both my parents came out of Montgomery County, Georgia. A history of said county included newspaper clippings and interviews which referred to
    landowners teaching their servants to speak Gaelic in the home, as that was the family practice. I believe that had disappeared by about WWI. I
    know that neither parent mentioned having heard it, but I find it interesting that it wasused. It is perhaps related to the fact that many came to these
    shores by force, not choice. Having never had much of a shot at owning anything, they became owners of land; many to most grants were in excess
    of 200 acres, control (NOT ownership) over which would have made them close to wealthy in Scotland. Many happily viewed themselves as landed
    gentry and attempted to live so. My folk owned much land, some in the thousands of acres, but my grandfather was born in a log cabin. By my
    childhood, everyone spoke in terms of being "poor dirt farmers". Changing times and perceptions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Thomson View Post
    Indeed & it's the same as Tynwald & Tinwald. My point was that's Norse & yet not in the areas typically associated with Norse influxes.
    I'm not so sure about that. Place name studies suggest that the whole of Ross-shire had a fair Norse presence - even the name itself may derive from Norse hross = horse.
    https://ssns.org.uk/resources/Docume...6_pp_23-32.pdf
    Certainly the Earls of Ross were of Viking descent.
    I believe that the point Patrick was originally making is that, at least for a period of time (albeit short), Gaelic was the most widely spoken language in Scotland long after Pictish and Norse had disappeared. Even James VI (1473-1513) had Gaelic and possibly also his son James V. Accepting this does not in any way diminish the input of Pictish, P-Celtic, Norse, Anglish, Anglo-Norman etc into early Scots, It certainly does not imply that one is a Gaelic "extremist" or "separatist nationalist".

Alan

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

PatrickHughes123 is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neloon View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. Place name studies suggest that the whole of Ross-shire had a fair Norse presence - even the name itself may derive from Norse hross = horse.
    I believe that the point Patrick was originally making is that, at least for a period of time (albeit short), Gaelic was the most widely spoken language in Scotland long after Pictish and Norse had disappeared. Even James VI (1473-1513) had Gaelic and possibly also his son James V. Accepting this does not in any way diminish the input of Pictish, P-Celtic, Norse, Anglish, Anglo-Norman etc into early Scots, It certainly does not imply that one is a Gaelic "extremist" or "separatist nationalist".

Alan
    Quite right, my point is, there is Gaelic place-name evidence over most of Scotland. The only places where Gaelic was never spoken was the extreme South-East and North-East. Robert the Bruce spoke Gaelic, believe it or not because he was born in Carrick, a place in South-West Scotland that spoke Gaelic.

To deny Gaelic for most of Scotland is to deny Scotland itself. I never denied the Germanic influence on Scotland, nor the Norman influence, nor the Norse influence. Surnames on both side of my family and my knowledge of Scottish history suggest I'm genetically a Norse-Gael, Anglo-Norman, Scoto-Norman, Anglo-Saxon, Anglo-Irish, Brythonic adult from Glasgow, the place of the green hollow, whatever that means.

Scotland is a nation that has its roots in the Celts and in Gaelic.

Point made.
    Last edited by PatrickHughes123; 31st August 18 at 02:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neloon View Post

Alan
    I can accept that, but as for Pictish & Norse disappearing, they didn't really, they just assimilated in & changed the language & place names. That's my point about Patricks map being innacurate in showing many parts of Scotland & the Isle of Man as Irish Gaelic rather than Norse Gaelic.

I can accept what you're saying & I support measures to protect Gaelic. My issue is when Gaelic is pushed as THE only true language of Scotland when it wasn't & it's not even the original language of the landmass we call Scotland.
    Last edited by Allan Thomson; 31st August 18 at 03:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickHughes123 View Post
    Quite right, my point is, there is Gaelic place-name evidence over most of Scotland. The only places where Gaelic was never spoken was the extreme South-East and North-East. Robert the Bruce spoke Gaelic, believe it or not because he was born in Carrick, a place in South-West Scotland that spoke Gaelic.

To deny Gaelic for most of Scotland is to deny Scotland itself. I never denied the Germanic influence on Scotland, nor the Norman influence, nor the Norse influence. Surnames on both side of my family and my knowledge of Scottish history suggest I'm genetically a Norse-Gael, Anglo-Norman, Scoto-Norman, Anglo-Saxon, Anglo-Irish, Brythonic adult from Glasgow, the place of the green hollow, whatever that means.

Scotland is a nation that has its roots in the Celts and in Gaelic.

Point made.
    So you're happy to ignore the far older roots of the Brythonnic speaking people as if their foundations count for nothing? This is what I would brand as Gaelic extremism - reinventing history and ignoring the much older roots of a none gaelic culture in Scotland in favour of stamping a manufactured homologous Gaelic culture in the place of the true culture of that area as a means to provide some feeling that the people on one side of the border are somehow massively different from those to the South when in fact it's more of a gradual evolution.

Perhaps this is the real reason why the Lowlands were more anglicised -gaelic was just a culture foisted upon them by invaders from Ireland so absorbing the later incoming cultures came just as easily?...

Like I said a fair few of those Gaelic placenames you've claimed in the Lowlands could just as easily been P Celt or Saxon. It just depends on the mindset of the person who observes them.

Regarding Carrick but I've already discussed why Norse Gaelic was prsent there. It was part of the Kingdom of Galloway which had connections with the Kingdom of Mann & the Isles... So the Gaelic may well have come from a more Westerly direction forming a little enclave rather than implying there was a spread of Gaelic across all of Southern Scotland.

And Galloway was Pictish first before it was Gaelic.
    Last edited by Allan Thomson; 31st August 18 at 03:36 PM.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Allan Thomson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robert the Bruce spoke Gaelic, believe it or not because he was born in Carrick, a place in South-West Scotland that spoke Gaelic.
    That's an assumption, I don't think that there is any proof.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Thomson View Post
    So you're happy to ignore the far older roots of the Brythonnic speaking people as if their foundations count for nothing? This is what I would brand as Gaelic extremism - reinventing history and ignoring the much older roots of a none gaelic culture in Scotland in favour of stamping a manufactured homologous Gaelic culture in the place of the true culture of that area as a means to provide some feeling that the people on one side of the border are somehow massively different from those to the South when in fact it's more of a gradual evolution.
    Yes, but the language is only one aspect of a general image of Scotland that has been constructed almost entirely from Highland culture and mores. Even the title of this site insists that the kilt is synonymous with Scotland together with bagpipes, tartan, Highland games, Highland dancing and so on. In an era of romanticism and perhaps partly through guilt at the way the Highlands had been treated, Walter Scott, David Stuart of Garth and various Highland societies publicised an unreal picture of the Highlands which took hold of the Scottish and international perception. This was supported by the disproportionate contribution of Highland kilted bagpipe-playing soldiers defending the Empire. And then there was Hollywood.
    So the tourists (i.e. the dollars-people) expect to see "Failte gu Alba" at the border or at airports - it gives them a thrill and they spend more money and tell their friends to come. They want to believe in Celticness and clans and muddled versions of Culloden and clearances. They're not much interested in Picts (Brythonic or othrwise) or the Beaker people or whoever came before them who named many of the Scottish rivers and mountains after the gods of some unknown prehistoric culture.
    Most countries invent their histories to some extent and it's pretty hard to go against the accepted truth. The Romans just knew that their culture was founded by Romulus and Remus, sons of Mars.

Alan

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well then that's sad because I think the Picts are a fascinating part of the picture of Scotland & their artwork is one of the most distictive and most pleasing (to my eye) styles of the period. Even if Historic Scotland maintains the fiction that it's only found in North Eastern Scotland ignoring the examples found elsewhere.

I think the whole period between the break up of the Roman empire & the establishment of the two distict countries of Scotland & England is just so much more fascinating. All the little powerblocks forming, some being dominant one minute then crushed and pretty much gone the next. The way that seemingly 'insignificant' places now could be highly influentual and dominant at one period.

I think one major issue when many talk about a history of a nation is that often those who produce the narrative are highly fascinated in their own little area, but not able to step back & see the bigger picture or look outside of theircown little bit of expertise. For example it's like the National Museum of Scotland talking about Somerled's Kingdom of the Isles, whilst not even mentioning that those Isles were part of a much bigger & stronger sea kingdom of Mann & The Isles or Historic Scotland claiming Pictish artwotk is only found in North Eastern Scotland whereas it's also in Dumfries & Galloway & found on the Isle of Man too ( & even in Wales).

I sometimes think the (wilful?) ignorance of anything outside of one's country despite there being connections elsewhere is just part of manufacturing a distinct identity as somehow being unconnected & different from all about...

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Allan Thomson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...never forget...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25F47E93-2785-4FF7-9F91-5C0CF2F9092D.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	35019
    "We are all connected...to each other, biologically; to the earth, chemically; to the universe, atomically...and that makes me smile." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Profane James For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carrick, I believe, comes from the Gaelic Carraig
    Gaelic may well have this word but Welsh also does so does that mean a common root? Dafydd ar y gareg gwen - David of the white rock. There seem too many similarities to assume that these languages developed in isolation.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Ivor For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast