X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CBH View Post
    I'll add a vote for Dewar's as my go-to blend. Famous Grouse is the same price (very reasonable) according to TotalWine.com. i'll try it very soon !!
    An excellent choice.

But when you see the spirit make-up of Dewar's, there's no surprise it's such an agreeable tipple.

There are still a few independant bottlers and blenders in Scotland, with individual and distinctive drams to try - I can recommend A. D. Rattray's house blend Bank Note Five which they say was first made 150 years ago, and is now produced in collaboration with Pacific Edge Wines and Spirits in California.

Rattray's website has details.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    Mekong Whisky.

Now that's one to leave well alone..!

You'll all be glad to know I have done the necessary field trials and tastings, and so have saved you all the trouble.

And what trouble it is, too!

For sale at the temptingly good value of $1 a bottle to foreigners with more money than sense, and available at every stopping point along the river, it is sold in whisky bottles, looks like whisky and is alcohol.

But that's as far as the similarity goes.

A unique blend of distinct spirits all carefully aged and nurtured, before being infused with a secret mix of herbs and spices is what the marketeers might say, but it is just a crude rice-grain alcohol with a bit of colouring and flavouring added.

It's whisky, Jim, but not as we know it..!
    Oh, I’ve partaken quite a bit during the months I’d spent in Thailand in the late 90s. I think it’s given the moniker “whisky” just to make it somewhat relatable to the Western tourists, though it’s more a rum being made of 95% sugar cane. It’s awful, but if your sole intention is to get drunk as cheaply as possible, there is not much that would be considered more effective.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacKenzie View Post
    Not bad. Tried it neat, then added one cube.
    Give Monkey Shoulder a try. I prefer it much more to Dewars when it comes to blended malts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12stones View Post
    Give Monkey Shoulder a try. I prefer it much more to Dewars when it comes to blended malts.
    Its twice the price, so I would certainly expect a boost in quality.

Sorry I have been unable to get the Grouse right away. It'll probably be another week or 2, but I hope to be rewarded with a hidden gem.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I must confess that it has never occurred to me to do that. I will give the Talisker addition to the “Grouse” a try forthwith.
    Well, the tasting is done. I didn't know what to expect and before I go on any further, perhaps, my much abused taste buds were not much help, too much tobacco! I haven't smoked for over twenty years now and I must admit my food does now taste much better these days, but............

So the blending instructions were followed, well, almost to the letter and I actually added a wee tad more Talisker, just to empty the bottle. .......................... sadly, I could not detect any difference in taste.

Interestingly after day or so, a couple ghillies popped in for wee chat about this and that. Now these chaps know their whisky. Perfect! So, I tried the blend on them. I did not tell them what I was doing I hasten to add, so they were offered a wee dram and as expected they accepted, as I know that they are "Grouse" drinkers. During the following conversations about important things, like the state of the river etc., etc., I studied their expressions as they sipped their drams and..........nothing! Not a frown, not a quiet appreciative smile, not a raise of an eyebrow, nothing! After a pleasant chat for an hour they went on their way without a comment about their drink, apart from a thank you. Were they being polite? Well maybe? Amazingly, there was a dram left in the bottle! So, I thought I had better tidy up and finish the bottle. Again the Grouse tasted as it should.

So, did I put enough Talisker in? It seems not. But even though I say it myself , it was a generous measure by any standards.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 21st June 24 at 09:42 AM. Reason: added a clarification.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Well, the tasting is done. I didn't know what to expect and before I go on any further, perhaps, my much abused taste buds were not much help, too much tobacco! I haven't smoked for over twenty years now and I must admit my food does now taste much better these days, but............

So the blending instructions were followed, well, almost to the letter and I actually added a wee tad more Talisker, just to empty the bottle. .......................... sadly, I could not detect any difference in taste.

Interestingly after day or so, a couple ghillies popped in for wee chat about this and that. Now these chaps know their whisky. Perfect! So, I tried the blend on them. I did not tell them what I was doing I hasten to add, so they were offered a wee dram and as expected they accepted, as I know that they are "Grouse" drinkers. During the following conversations about important things, like the state of the river etc., etc., I studied their expressions as they sipped their drams and..........nothing! Not a frown, not a quiet appreciative smile, not a raise of an eyebrow, nothing! After a pleasant chat for an hour they went on their way without a comment about their drink, apart from a thank you. Were they being polite? Well maybe? Amazingly, there was a dram left in the bottle! So, I thought I had better tidy up and finish the bottle. Again the Grouse tasted as it should.

So, did I put enough Talisker in? It seems not. But even though I say it myself , it was a generous measure by any standards.
    Hmmmm... A two-pipe problem, this...

I wonder if the mix that the Grouse comprises needs something a bit more heavy-handed, like a drop or two from Islay instead of Skye, for the difference to be noticeable.

Perhaps that's what the smoky black Famous Grouse is all about.

I've seen 'rum expressions' in certain malts recently, so have done my own by adding a few drops of Appleton to the glass or two's amount of Scotch left in my decanter.

And very pleasant it is. The smooth sweetness of the rum is tempered by the whisky, and the character of the Scotch takes on a mellow, gentle mood - a bit like how you might feel on a winter's afternoon in front of an open fire, after a good meal.

I've seen certain malts described as a 'book at bedtime' dram, and this whisky/rum mix of mine fits that nicely. All I've got to do is the get the mixt right and lodge my copyright!

Remember you saw it here first...

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two pipes are fine, just don't get the violin out!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

11. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck hand-mixing your whisky. I finally made it through a bottle of The Grouse.

It was pretty good, but I returned to Dewar's for the everyday scotch.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234