X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot View Post
    Nope, it's still happening, Alan. In fact, it's happening right in this thread. There have been a number of comments directed at the traditionalist community here that infer that we are all rude, condescending, etc. If you "moderns" dislike us and our rules so much, then why do you all keep talking about us?

If a traditionalist even dared to suggest that a "modern" not comment in the traditionalist forum, it would be "Katy, bar the door!" in terms of the outcry -- and I've seen that happen when someone has just suggested that a "modern" kilt post wasn't germane to the traditional kilt section.

I've deleted several comments in this thread and others in the Mod section in an attempt to build some bridges -- sadly, the traditionalist-bashing continues...

T.
    Then Todd, my friend.....don't read this forum. Stick to the Traditional Kilt Wear forum. Like me...I don't read the Traditional Kilt Wear forum. I literally do not look there. Period. I know that what I see there will annoy and irritate me so I just simply don't look there.

If what you see here annoys and irritates you, then just don't look here. Get over it.

Also, get used to the fact that some people won't like what you do, what you think, and what you stand for. It's just going to happen. It's a fact of life for everybody. There are plenty of people on X Marks who don't much like what they see me write, and probably find the online me to be boring, aggressive and tiresome. Some of them will even say so, straight out. That's life. The way to make your online time a little more pleasant is to just not participate in places where you find what's going on to be annoying and unpleasant.
    Last edited by Alan H; 13th June 11 at 10:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdarwin View Post
    I would suggests that we all take things a little less seriously...

I, personally, appreciate all aspects of kilted wear, be they modern, contemporary, traditional or otherwise. I think of the various sub forums as a general guide towards categorizing the helpful threads of textual communication that happens on this site rather than a rigid set of rules for specific topics of discussion. I have yet to find anything at all offensive on this site which is one of my favourite things about it. I am a member of many other forums (not necessarily relating to kilts) and they have a tendency to be less fun or even informative as I find XMTS tends to be.

Again, I suggest we stop taking ourselves and each other so seriously. Perhaps then we can all enjoy this unique and interesting online community where we all have at least one thing in common: an appreciation of the kilt.

Cheers,
    -J
    In the end, this is an online forum about clothes. When it comes right down to it, clothes are not THAT important, in my opinion. I, personally, have not forgotten that.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post deleted.
    Last edited by macwilkin; 13th June 11 at 12:53 PM.

Paul Henry is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, it's still happening, Alan. In fact, it's happening right in this thread. There have been a number of comments directed at the traditionalist community here that infer that we are all rude, condescending, etc. If you "moderns" dislike us and our rules so much, then why do you all keep talking about us?

If a traditionalist even dared to suggest that a "modern" not comment in the traditionalist forum, it would be "Katy, bar the door!" in terms of the outcry -- and I've seen that happen when someone has just suggested that a "modern" kilt post wasn't germane to the traditional kilt section.

I've deleted several comments in this thread and others in the Mod section in an attempt to build some bridges -- sadly, the traditionalist-bashing continues...

T.
    Todd, I can't see any of your postings in this thread(or evidence of them) so I'm not sure exactly what was in them or how they were, if they were, anyway germane to the discusion.And I'm sorry but i don't agree that the posters here are suggesting that all tradtional/historic kilt wearers are rude etc, merely that what seems to happen is that when some of them, repeat some of them post, the discussion takes a very speedy downhill journey.
    Steve in fact in an earlier thread has purposely not followed on a comment from Jock, because of what might ensue.

The subject thread title is what is modern kilt wearing about, not the rights and wrongs of wearing it in a traditional way, or infact generally the wrongs of not wearing it in a traditional way. Too often in a "modern" kilt thread ,there are comments which are often only made to stir, and that is what Steve and Alan and me, and I'm sure lots of others want to avoid.
    I'm really sorry if you think that you are being attacked or sidelined, you are not, I don't think I have ever seen you being attacked for what you wear , and I've been here for many years.
    What I have seen many times is a " modern"kilt wearer being ridiculed, infact ,I have been highlighted as being awful in some of my outfits, simply because I wasn't wearing my kilt in a manner the poster thought I should, which actually meant I wasn't wearing in a traditional way, those comments were not pleasant, not very friendly and certainly not within a spirit of a community .

This is a kilt forum, for those that wear kilts.... jsut repeating what Steve said, as it bears hearing again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alan -- but if what annoys and irritates you about the traditionalist forum is the same thing going here, doesn't that negate the whole argument for "tolerance and acceptance" for modern kilts?

The modern kilts don't annoy and irritate me -- they're not my style, but I don't necessarily get annoyed by them, nor would I dare dream of deriding them or their wearers -- what annoys and irritates me are people making charges against the traditionalists and then turning around and doing the exact same thing the trads were accused of doing.

Just something to think about...

T.
    Yeah. Right. Whatever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God, what a phenomenal waste of time.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post deleted.
    Last edited by macwilkin; 13th June 11 at 12:53 PM.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post deleted. Taking to a PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alan: why can't you admit that both camps can engage in such rude comments and posts? If you truly want mutual respect, then you have to extend it. Making a comment like this one doesn't do that, INMHO. I have admitted time and time again that while I do not necessarily "care for" modern variants of kilts, I bear the wearers no ill-will and and would not publically make fun of their kilts. I'm sure some of the makers of such garments turn out quality items, and as a supporter of the free market system, I salute them 100% for responding to a demand for something others value. I think it's great.

I seem to remember you making positive comments towards traditional kiltwearers as well, myself included.

But the fact that you can't even agree with me that there are some very nasty things said about traditionalists around here does prove my point to a degree.

T.
    Sure, Todd. There are some nasty things written here about the more traditional guys. There. I wrote it. Are you happy now?

Now, will you PLEASE go spend your time in the Traditional Highland Wear forum, where you are happy and comfortable, and leave this one to guys who wear their hose scrunched down, or possibly wear camouflage, so that we also can have some fun in X Marks?

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post deleted. Didn't mean to offend a friend.
    Last edited by macwilkin; 13th June 11 at 12:52 PM.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast