X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    I have seen other posts like this one, showing pictures of this kind of garment - usually described as a utility kilt or the like.

Viewed from here in Scotland (through now aged and rather traditionally-focused eyes) I find myself perplexed. And my recurring response is 'But why..?'

I should add that I have never seeon one being worn here in Scotland, so I am guesing it is 'another culture' thing at play here.

There must be something fundamental in the idea and appeal of these so-called kilts, but what is the attraction or preference over a real kilt - and you all know very well what I mean by that!

Please do not misunderstand me. This is a genuine request for information and enlightenment.

Why would a man prefer a garment of this kind over a properly-made kilt in wool, or even synthetic materials that look the same?

The only reason I can imagine, is that they appeal to men who don't like tartan - but surely the tweed or hodden-grey kilts answer for that. The cut and wearing style makes me think they must be uncomfortable and awkward compared to a traditional kilt.

Is cost the issue?

But, to me, who often sees kilts of superior quality and excellent condition (I mean the eight-yarder in heavyweight wool) for sale in charity shops for £20-£40 (and sometimes much less) that cannot be the reason either.

If there is a definitive answer, or a check-list of preferences I am unaware of, could someone kindly help clear my bewilderment.

Before I get bombarded with 'Choice..!' responses, which I understand of course, I would like to know and understand why the preference, not just that there is one.
    With great respect I disagree with a lot of your comment but in the same way I also respect you have a different view ..Your opinion is how you see it and you are quite entitled to express that.

I do not own a single 8 yard wool kilt . They absolutely look great but I personally cannot see myself wearing one . In fact if I had to be confined to one that'd be the end of kilts for me . That'd be really sad .

I own a few 5 yard traditional looking kilts though and because they are much lighter and easier to wear wool blend and other material . And then there are my utility kilts including ones I bought specifically for bushwalking and hiking .. These are wash and wear , very practical , fun and shorter .

So ...The original Great Kilt as I understand was in fact a garment for men with multi purposes in mind at the time and are fascinating ...Then it evolved over time into the modern kilt that we think of as probably traditional kilts ..
    Once again though time never stops and like most things not least fashion never stops .. Over the past few decades the utility , leather , hybrid kilts have come along . I love that . It gives the wearer true individuality and perhaps a reason to try a kilt . That is exactly me .. Even with both sides of my family having Scottish and Irish ancestry I am not likely to have chosen kilts without the options we now have ..

Again , I respect your choice so too with anybody with a different take on a wonderful male garment . I even wear certain kilts to 20.5 to 21 " . I guess that would horrify some but I actually find them fit for purpose (hiking) but I also wear many at 24" too for the same exact reason ..Fit for purpose .. Kilt police can mind their own business on that .
    Last edited by makfromtazz; 10th January 24 at 02:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by makfromtazz View Post
    With great respect I disagree with a lot of your comment but in the same way I also respect you have a different view ..Your opinion is how you see it and you are quite entitled to express that.

I do not own a single 8 yard wool kilt . They absolutely look great but I personally cannot see myself wearing one . In fact if I had to be confined to one that'd be the end of kilts for me . That'd be really sad .

I own a few 5 yard traditional looking kilts though and because they are much lighter and easier to wear wool blend and other material . And then there are my utility kilts including ones I bought specifically for bushwalking and hiking .. These are wash and wear , very practical , fun and shorter .

So ...The original Great Kilt as I understand was in fact a garment for men with multi purposes in mind at the time and are fascinating ...Then it evolved over time into the modern kilt that we think of as probably traditional kilts ..
    Once again though time never stops and like most things not least fashion never stops .. Over the past few decades the utility , leather , hybrid kilts have come along . I love that . It gives the wearer true individuality and perhaps a reason to try a kilt . That is exactly me .. Even with both sides of my family having Scottish and Irish ancestry I am not likely to have chosen kilts without the options we now have ..

Again , I respect your choice so too with anybody with a different take on a wonderful male garment . I even wear certain kilts to 20.5 to 21 " . I guess that would horrify some but I actually find them fit for purpose (hiking) but I also wear many at 24" too for the same exact reason ..Fit for purpose .. Kilt police can mind their own business on that .
    I am not sure you fully understood my question.

I made no challenge to anyone wishing to wear a utility kilt (each to their own, I say), but I was asking why there is preference over a 'real' kilt.

Although I have been a kilt-wearer for 60 years or so, my own kilting experience is limited to traditionally-styled garments of the heavy wool kind - some of which are quite ancient (more than 100 years old) and astonishingly thick and heavy - that get worn in all conditions and for all kinds of activities.

These range from many years living on the Continent with 40C+ summer temperatures to near Arctic winters here at home again in northern Scotland.

My guess is that a mini-kilt, worn low on the hips (which is horribly uncomfortable, I find) has advantages, and is therefore preferable, over a conventional kilt - but these advantages and preferences are not obvious to me and that is why I ask.

Experiance tells me that if a conventional kilt is unsuitable, then any kind of kilt would be, too. Which is why I am puzzled as to why a utility kilt is preferable. What is it I am not getting..?

Is it a youth-culture fashion thing I am too old and staid to understand? Perhaps your 'fun and shorter' comment is the clue...

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by makfromtazz View Post

I do not own a single 8 yard wool kilt.
    Come to think of it, I don't either!

The kilts I wear- I randomly switch between four- were all bespoke and I've had them made with between 6 and 7 yards.

I prefer 16 ounce "heavy weight" wool kilting cloth. Once you've exceeded around 4 yards the extra fabric is all in the back taken up in the pleats, so the while the front of the kilt remains the same the back gets heavier and heavier.

In my opinion a 6 or 6.5 yard kilt has the ideal combination of look and balance.

For me it does seem to take around 6 yards for the back of the kilt to "look like a kilt" and I'm not alone: my vintage Highland Dress catalogues from the 1920s up into the 1970s offer kilts in 6, 7, or 8 yards.

It's clear that the idea that a "proper kilt" must have 8 yards is recent. I certainly don't subscribe to it.

I do have one kilt with 9 yards of heavy weight wool kilting cloth. I rarely wear it because I don't really like the feel of it. I didn't order it that way! When the package of fabric came in the post I handed it to the kilt maker, and she used all of it. I thought I had received 8 yards.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 11th January 24 at 08:29 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Come to think of it, I don't either!

The kilts I wear- I randomly switch between four- were all bespoke and I've had them made with between 6 and 7 yards.

I prefer 16 ounce "heavy weight" wool kilting cloth. Once you've exceeded around 4 yards the extra fabric is all in the back taken up in the pleats, so the while the front of the kilt remains the same the back gets heavier and heavier.

In my opinion a 6 or 6.5 yard kilt has the ideal combination of look and balance.

For me it does seem to take around 6 yards for the back of the kilt to "look like a kilt" and I'm not alone: my vintage Highland Dress catalogues from the 1920s up into the 1970s offer kilts in 6, 7, or 8 yards.

It's clear that the idea that a "proper kilt" must have 8 yards is recent. I certainly don't subscribe to it.

I do have one kilt with 9 yards of heavy weight wool kilting cloth. I rarely wear it because I don't really like the feel of it. I didn't order it that way! When the package of fabric came in the post I handed it to the kilt maker, and she used all of it. I thought I had received 8 yards.
    G'day Richard OC ...

Yes I agree ,, I have a weird and some might say odd collection that's taken well over 30 years to get together . I have no issues with Troglodyte's comments where he questions the values for him of a non traditional kilt . Absolutely he has the right to express that opinion . It's great actually because it creates healthy discussion and why forums are great .

This is what I have . About nine traditional looking 5 yard kilts of varying tartan patterns ..they are all wool but none are the full pleats as such but are all 24" drop . I wear them with a sporran, belt and decorative pin . I have a couple of slightly shorter (one recently bought) wool blend tartan style . About 22" drop ..They are great fun to wear .

I have four khaki style UT utility kilts at 24 " and wear no accessories other than a black clip belt with them . I also have four Mountain Hardware nylon kilts specifically for wet weather hiking as they never get really wet and heavy .. Can't get them any more either .. I also own two leather kilts ...and two short kilts both tartan at 20" .

A few buckle kilt belts , 9-10 decorative kilt pins , two sporrans only , a couple of pairs of hose , two ghillie shirts but no flashes or ties or dagger. Certainly no real formal wear to speak of .

I wear my hotch potch of kilts and accessories primarily as a fun alternative to normal attire that we are conditioned by western society to wear ..Some level of practicability and comfort too for long hikes for me too.

For Trogladyte (I hope he reads this ) I suggest he understands that there are many and varied reasons why more of us are choosing to not remain with just one genre of this amazing male origin garment.

That said , perhaps one day I will buy a heavy 8 yarder and maybe I'll like it . Probably wrong in my original post where I said that if I was confined to one I wouldn't wear kilts at all . I certainly would . So , I'll reserve my opinion on the 8 yarders til then eh ...Got to be fair about it .. You never know , Trogladyte might do the same with a utility kilt one day ..

Cheers ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234