X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=CMcG;1185555]A while back, I bought one of the budget sgians from Kult of Athena for a friend and, despite the plastic handle, it has a sharp blade with a threaded pommel. Not bad for $5 + shipping! Not quite the style I'm looking for though...
    http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=HK501

Since you mentioned the Ritter sgian ($19), I've checked back a couple times but it has been out of stock...

Elsewhere, I saw recommendations for the Kris Cutlery ($64) and Generations 2 ($29) sgians that Kult of Athena is supposed to carry, but alas they too are out of stock [QUOTE=CMcG;1185555]

Unfortunately that's an ongoing problem with KoA. It's actually a rather small enterprise, but the owner knows his stuff and is highly respected. However they've never let me down, even with backordered items. The kriss cutlery blades are very well made, but they don't even have them on their own site right now.
    Keep your rings charged, pleats in the back, and stay geeky!
    https://kiltedlantern.wixsite.com/kiltedlantern

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One that I'm interested in getting, having served a few years each in first a strategic and then a tactical PSYOP unit. . .The PSYOP Regimental Association has designed a definitely-functional sgian dubh. There don't seem to be any pics on a regular website, but their are pics on their Facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8427839&type=3

On another note, I just found that there is now a Psychological Operations Regiment tartan, registered in April this year and approved by Colonel Michael A Ceroli, PSYOP Regimental Commandant:

http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tar...aspx?ref=10822
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCAC View Post
    Look no further than here.

I have one of these:-
    I have the same and it is a pleasure to make business with James

hejdå Jörg

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Piipriker For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made my own in the end as a Sgian Dubh is a restricted import item in Australia.
    I made mine functional with a view to using them in the field for utilitarian purposes.
    That, and replica knives are regarded the same way as sharp ones here.

I designed my own plades and had a few plasma cut out of both mild steel and machine grade stainless.
    I made a long tang and cast the handle from recycled bearing metal (AKA white-metal)

I would be happy to share the CAD for the blade if you are near an engineering workshop.

2013-08-17_01-17-39_710.jpg

or for the production pics, you can go here:
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...ade-kit-80512/
    Last edited by Dranoweb; 18th August 13 at 08:41 AM.
    ---If you are going to die - Die with your boots on---

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dranoweb For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the end, I got myself another Colt sgian to replace the one that was lost. I made that choice for a few reasons, which I'll share for anyone that is interested. If you've read the whole thread, you'll recall that I was looking for a functional and affordable sgian dubh with either a full tang or screw down pommel. I also wanted it to be sharp out of the box and have a day wear look, rather than being a formal item.

My girlfriend vetoed the Cold Steel Secret Edge because it looks too modern, as does the Artificum Solis. The Gen2 and Kris Cutlery sgians are still back ordered. I love the custom sgians that Xmarker Drac makes (I believe artificer posted a photo of his), but they aren't so affordable, which was also a problem with many of the other sweet options out there. Some people posted very nice looking, affordable, sharp sgians on this thread that, unfortunately, weren't full tang or screw pommel, but rather rat tail or half tang with glue

The final factor was finding a brand new Colt sgian on eBay for $11+$7 shipping. In my estimation, this is the most functional, best looking sgian that $18 can buy! I love the burl wood and it is definitely sharp. As compared to the other one that I had, the sheath is much improved. It is now thinner and narrower, which follows the profile of the knife better. It still has the magnets in the sheath to hold the knife in place.

Colt sgian.jpg
    Last edited by CMcG; 31st August 13 at 07:14 AM.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i also bought a colt, thanks to this thread. i like it so much that i will get another for when i lose this one.
    LitTrog: Bah. You guys with your "knowledge" and "talents." Always taking the legs out from under my ignorant nincompoopery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Colt a couple of years ago, love the burl and the heft of the full tang.
    I made one modification to the wooden sheath, filing a short ramp in the throat on the side with the magnet, to stop the choil from hanging up on the edge when re-sheathing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-of-Cedars View Post
    I bought a Colt a couple of years ago, love the burl and the heft of the full tang.
    I made one modification to the wooden sheath, filing a short ramp in the throat on the side with the magnet, to stop the choil from hanging up on the edge when re-sheathing.
    I had to look up "choil" in the dictionary Luckily my new sgian re-sheathing without difficulty, so I won't have to mod it!
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345