X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Norman Question

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a single bottle of Morin VSOP in the spirits cupboard, Robert, but it's not open and I think I will leave it that way until my return in the Fall. In your honour, instead, I have a large splash of Wave in the crystal this evening.

I raise it to your belligerant ancestors, my alpine friend, of both persuations (although I do think you might show just a little embarassment about the Flemish lot)

Rex

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck of NI View Post
    Cousin Forrester,

I'm a little concerned that you didn't take that comment in the spirit in which it was offered, so just in case let me assure you it was a joke of deepest satire. Good Python quote though.
    Cousin Canuck

All taken in jest as intended. Merely a convenient time to extend it with the french Python quote. We are on the same wavelength.

jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Douglas origins, or more accurately, the lack there of, makes for some interesting delving into history. No one knows where the Douglas' came from.
    but their origin is hid in obscurity. ‘We do not know them,’ says Godscroft, in his ‘History of the House and Race of Douglas and Angus,’ ‘in the fountain, but in the stream; not in the root, but in the stem: for we know not who was the first mean man that did raise himself above the vulgar.
    There are tales of in the 700's of a Sholto Douglas who did a bit of fighting for the king. One of his descendent' flitted off to France and gadded about with Charlemagne before ending up in Italy and marrying an Italian heiress.

Then history skips forward a bit and the Douglas' are a growing power base around Lanark. Some have speculated that the Douglas' have the same origin as the Murray's.

Rob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    There is a single bottle of Morin VSOP in the spirits cupboard, Robert, but it's not open and I think I will leave it that way until my return in the Fall. In your honour, instead, I have a large splash of Wave in the crystal this evening.

I raise it to your belligerant ancestors, my alpine friend, of both persuations (although I do think you might show just a little embarassment about the Flemish lot)

Rex
    Merci Rex, I feel better already.

If ever your feet brings you to Normandy, please tell me so I can arrange something with Rollo (Andrew Philip) at his manor.

Lady Chrystel would be happy to meet you as well.

Best,

Robert
    Last edited by Ancienne Alliance; 7th July 10 at 03:46 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForresterModern View Post
    Cousin Canuck

All taken in jest as intended. Merely a convenient time to extend it with the french Python quote. We are on the same wavelength.

jeff
    Thank goodness. I was particularly impressed that you remembered 'elderberries' in the quote. I would have put in 'gooseberries' which is more English-stereotyped but much less subtle in its insult delivery ("your wine practices are crap!"). Those Python lads showed true genius.

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canuck in NI wrote: “And those ridiculous helmets, don't get me started.”

Well, as everybody ought to know, the ridiculous helmets with the enormous horns were a Wagnerian invention, not authentically Viking at all (whether Norse, Danish or Swedish).
    And I found it interesting that it was a Buchanan who provided a long list of “Norman” clans – perhaps to emphasise that the Buchanans were not of that origin?
    My recollection is that the name Buchanan was taken from lands granted to a son of a High King of Ireland by the King of Scots.
    An authoritative history I read last year of Scotland during the Dark Age contends that the Douglases and others in Galloway were part of a wave of migration from Ireland that was distinct from the one that originally settled in Argyll, so establishing the (smaller and separate) Kingdom of Scots.
    There is more than adequate proof that the Bruce (de Brus) family originated in Flanders – the name refers to Bruges or Bruggen. As I mentioned previously, Bruces were employed by William of Normandy to build and maintain a castle in his duchy.
    And Sinclair is a name that did not appear in Scotland until after the suppression of the Knights Templar. No connection with William the Bastard at all.
    Regards,
    Mike
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Oettle View Post
    Canuck in NI wrote: “And those ridiculous helmets, don't get me started.”

Well, as everybody ought to know, the ridiculous helmets with the enormous horns were a Wagnerian invention, not authentically Viking at all (whether Norse, Danish or Swedish). [snip]
    Regards,
    Mike
    Actually I was also thinking of the strip-of-iron-over-the-nose versions that were seen in a certain version of Robin Hood from the late '80s. That remark was in some part an inside throw-away to a relative of mine who went out and bought such a helm just because he thought they were cool-looking. He's a lurker here. I will say no more.

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Canuck, I have not seen that particular version of Robin Hood, but William the Bastard’s army certainly did wear helmets with strips of iron over the nose.
    The Bayeux Tapestry includes a reference to this with an incident that took place after a rumour had spread that William had been killed. Even though most of his face was visible under it, William had to take his helmet right off to prove that he was still alive.
    Low recognition . . . something like the black and drab badges on US soldiers’ shoulder patches showing the unit coat of arms or other symbol.
    Regards,
    Mike
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456