X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How are people losing their kilt pins?

I've read several people mention placing their kilt pins within hands reach, so they can verify it hasn't fallen off. I don't have a kilt pin yet, so maybe it's obvious, but how are kilt pins falling off? Most of the ones I've seen enter the fabric from the top, and fasten at the bottom. It seems that even if the fastener twisted and unlocked itself, the kilt pin should still hold itself in place using its own weight. Is that not the case?

If this is a common issue, how many kilt pins have you personally lost?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traditional kilt pins fasten securely and are unlikely to be lost. Personally, I never wear one and so it's not an issue.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by User View Post
    I've read several people mention placing their kilt pins within hands reach, so they can verify it hasn't fallen off. I don't have a kilt pin yet, so maybe it's obvious, but how are kilt pins falling off? Most of the ones I've seen enter the fabric from the top, and fasten at the bottom. It seems that even if the fastener twisted and unlocked itself, the kilt pin should still hold itself in place using its own weight. Is that not the case?

If this is a common issue, how many kilt pins have you personally lost?
    Perhaps the answer depends on what kind of kilt-pin the person is using, and has lost.

Many of the stylistic-themed kilt-pins (swords, targes, thistles, animals, etc) have cast metal bodies with brooch-style pins attached to the rear. These pins are flimsy and flexible, and will give way under small amounts of stress or pressure.

If the kilt-pin catches on something - the arm of a chair, bracken, anything - it can be easily sprung open and pulled off the kilt without the wearer's notice. To combat this, some people pass the pin itself through a piece of rubber-band or wrap a rubber-band around the pin before closing it in the clasp. The rubber remains hidden on the inside of the kilt, and the pin has little likelihood of being pulled out of the rubber-band without it being highly obvious.

Although often criticised for their plainness, the so-alled blanket-pin style of kilt-pin never has the loss-without-notice risk, and have long been the style favoured by the military - my picture shows a trio of simple silver pins, one of which is dated 1915. The brass one is of similar antiquity and shows very skillful metalwork by the maker.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3051a.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	271.0 KB 
ID:	43802 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9429.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	162.7 KB 
ID:	43803

The position of the pin has no tradition of it being placed within hand's reach for 'checking' although this is now probably true for some people. Kilted regiments place their pins according to regulations, so as to be positioned at a certain position on the tartan's sett - the Gordon Highlanders like theirs to cross the middle yellow band, so the pin sits much higher than many would naturally prefer to wear their pins.

Position is as much personal preference as anything in civilian life, and anywhere from a couple of inches up from the bottom and in from the edge is about right - but you will see catalogue pictures from the mid-years of last century showing the pin placed low and at a diagonal angle.

There are no rules or laws to be obeyed here - only personal whim and individual preference - but every pin, no matter where positioned, is at risk of catching or snagging.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pin clutch

In my hunt for a kilt pin, I acquired one with a pin clutch that I transferred to my favorite kilt pin. Basically a small lock that slides over the shaft of the pin. Chatted with a local jeweler who had one in stock for an exorbitant price. Apparently they are no longer being offered by jewelry manufacturers. Starting trolling eBay looking at vintage pins and found a very inexpensive set of hat pins that came with a mixture of clutches and tip covers. For $4 I now have a nice selection of options to protect my kilt pins. The tip covers protect my hand from the pin.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know losing kilt pins was a problem.

For myself, I like the vintage traditional ones, designed and made solely for the purpose of being a kilt pin.

Here's mine, laying on a c1960 catalogue selling the same one (J5).

It has a latch which has yet to un-latch itself while being worn.

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the history of kilt pins, in Victorian times they weren't all that popular.

Plain kilts, and kilts with rosettes, easily outnumber kilts with kilt pins.

Interestingly only one Highland regiment wore them, the Gordon Highlanders. These were plain "blanket pins".

Many of the Victorian kilt pins are round, and are more or less a slightly scaled-down Clan cap badge.

I have the 1909 Leckie Graham's catalogue and it offers plain "blanket pins" and more ornate kilt pins in the form of axes, dirks, claymores, and powder-horns. (No clan crests!)

What's interesting is that at the very time that Highland Dress was becoming de-accessorised, each accessory, as it stopped being worn, found itself commemorated in kilt pin form.

So up until around 1900 full Evening Dress included sword, dirk, powder-horn, and a pair of Highland pistols.

But after 1900 Evening Dress was shorn of this impedimenta which was then pinned to the kilt in miniature form.

(The exceptions to this rule are the axe and "Lochaber axe" which though not worn or carried in Victorian times have continued to be popular kilt-pin motifs.)
    Last edited by OC Richard; 5th September 24 at 06:32 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for weighing in everyone. I wonder if this is more of a problem for specific peoples' lifestyles. I was starting to think it was a widespread issue, but maybe that's just the impression I was given by stumbling on a few people's experiences grouped together.

Probably a good idea to secure it though, just in case. Then again, I'm still fiddling with the idea of magnetic attachment, to avoid piercing the apron. But I suspect that's the best way to lose a kilt pin.

Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Here's mine, laying on a c1960 catalogue selling the same one (J5).
    That is gorgeous. Any idea what the "cairngorm" is made of?

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a personal note about the magnetic fastener for a kilt pin.
    I can remember when the idea of using rare earth magnets to fasten kilt pins was going around. I tried it. The first time I was walking through a parking lot the pin firmly attached itself to a random car fender. And stayed there.

Good idea, not so great when you have to leave a note telling some person how the scratch got on their car.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh wow! Thanks for the warning. That's certainly something to think about. In light of that, if I try using magnets maybe I'll put ferrous metal on the back of the kilt pin, and only put magnets on the backside of the apron. That way the kilt pin itself won't be attracted to other metals. Still might be a bad idea, but it seems so tempting, I don't know if I can stop myself from giving it a go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did have a kilt pin work its way loose and fall out at a highland festival once. Lots of running between tents and events distributing updates to participants. Never did find it but the company in Scotland did send me another one. I usually add a bit of tape to the clasp to make sure it doesn't accidentally open.
    "Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
    Remember the men from whom you are descended.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast