X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kiltmart, Stillwater Kilts, reviews etc etc... HELP PLEASE

I have a kiltmart economy... for the money (like 50 bucks or so) it is pretty nice. Very comfortable, looks good enough, etc. I would like to purchase either a stillwater normal kilt (non economy) or a kiltmart had-sewn. I am leaning toward stillwater, because of their more taditional styling (buckles, fringes, etc.) but am also strongly considering the kiltmart hand sewn, which seems could be a worth contender. It is heavier material than the one I own, and it is 8 yards. So, it probably has better shape, and general appearance than my current one, which I am ver happy with.
    What I need is, does ANYONE have either of these? I don't care if you have an econo version from either company, only the standard stillwater of the hand sewn kiltmart. Please let me know what you think.
    -Jon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    swat,

i do not have a kiltmart, but i have two stillwaters.

the stillwater standards are a nice kilts. they do need a bit of alteration as mention in other posts here, but for the price, not a bad deal. i hesitate on the SW Economy kilts.

i have the Black Watch and the Royal Stewart. be notified, the BW i have was made in Pakistan and the RS , probably the same, but no indication on the label.

these are machine made and light acrylic material. the are comfortable though tend to fly in the breeze because of weight. a kilt pin is a must and at least.

i prefer the traditional cut and the SW Kilts fit not only my wallet, but me.

i don't yet know all the technical terms for the different parts of a kilt, but ... the high waist band on the SW's are really nice. ( i do not have a comparison to other perhaps better made kilts). Jimmy Carbomb did a review on the Stillwaters. ( and he knows what he's talking about)

i'm 5'11 and the SW's, when waisted at the navel, are dead center of my kneecap without alterations. right where i like them. the BW i have was a rough cut on the hem amd requires adjustment. the RS was a clean cut and no adjustment needed.

The leather strap/buckle is a plus. they are not a heavy leather and if you don't fold your kilt properly, the leather straps will become deformed. (fold carefully and use a kilt/skirt hanger.

The SW's do have wide belt loops and include a bum shield. very cool. the SW's, because they are acrylic, tend to load with static. i work in a controlled atmosphere ripe with static and carry a can of Static Guard. ( warning - do not spray Static Guard in an enclosed area ... it's chemical and it's killer) But an even handed spraying is good for a week.

the pleats are so-so. first wash and you'd better be on your toes and ready to straighten them out. There are several ironing posts on the board.

anyway i have two SW's. i've had nice comments about them and just yesterday, one of the guys I work with said he's seriously thinking of popping for one.

but let me reiterate. the SW is a low cost alternative for someone who wants a kilt in an inexpensive and expedicious manner. Jerry at SW is great to work with and at least with me, has delivered eactly what he said he'd delivery. orders placed have been received in less than a week.

best of luck.

ambrose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awoodfellow
    ...these are machine made and light acrylic material. the are comfortable though tend to fly in the breeze because of weight. a kilt pin is a must....
    There are other kilts that are made of cotton, blends, etc ( non-wool). I wonder how they compare as to the flying in the breeze effect

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Stillwater Black Watch Standard, and while it's my first kilt, I like it a lot. The pics' in my gallery.

I'm long in the upper body and I live in levi's. Problem is, unless I specifically buy "long" cut shirts, they always pull out of the waistband of the levis'. The stillwater kilt, because it's high-cut like a traditional kilt, solves this problem and it also make me "bottom half" look longer. This is nice after a lifetime of looking at myself in the mirror or photographs and seeing my "top half" look too long.

I'd assumed that Stillwaters kilts were assembled offshore, since I cannot imagine how he could be making a go of it as a business, offering kilts that clearly contain that much work, at those prices.

The only comment I'd make is that I wish the leather/buckles were a bit heavier weight. They look fine and I have no actual complaint, I just "kind of wish" they were more substantial. However, for the money, ifyou're looking for a traditionally styled kilt, the Sillwater seems good to me. I like it well enough that I'll probably be buying a Black Stewart from him fairly soon.

This is my utterly uninformed opinion, having seen close up, exactly ONE kilt in my lifetime....this one!

BTW, I got out the tape measure and had my wife measure my waist and butt and come up with 44 waist, 54 butt. The waist measurement was about two inches below the navel, the butt measurement was as the widest part of me butt. I got a 44 Stillwater from Jerry and it was 'way too big. I played with the buckles and took some more measurements and decided that a 40 would just about do it, so I mailed it back. We swapped e-mail later, and he sent me a 40, which got here in short order. It fits just great.

I'm impressed with Jerry and his attention to his business, and I'd not hesitate to purchase from him again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you ever go wrong with a handsewn traditional?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin
    My sentiments exactly!
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

handsewn traditional...

Frugality = A handsewn traditional kilt which will last a lifetime (if well cared for) and serve as an hierloom for future generations.

Cost= PRICELESS.

I'm wi' Colin on this one: go for the handsewn traditional -- I'm the proud owner of one, and I have never regretted it.

Cheers,

Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: handsewn traditional...

Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot
    Frugality = A handsewn traditional kilt which will last a lifetime (if well cared for) and serve as an hierloom for future generations.

Cost= PRICELESS.

I'm wi' Colin on this one: go for the handsewn traditional -- I'm the proud owner of one, and I have never regretted it.

Cheers,

Todd

http://www.kiltmart.com/customer/home.php?cat=259

now, what do u think?

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kiltmart...

You'll notice, Raph., that neither Colin, GMan or I mentioned Kiltmart by name in our responses! :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: kiltmart...

Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot
    You'll notice, Raph., that neither Colin, GMan or I mentioned Kiltmart by name in our responses! :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Todd
    and for good reason. I still count a handsewn traditional as made in Scotland (?) by a skilled and trained kiltmaker, using at least 6 yards of wool (11oz at least). Somehow , I don't think that applies in kiltmart's case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast