X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FINALLY! "Ghillie Brogues" Wide Enough For My Viking Scot Warrior Feet

All these years I've never found ghillie brogues to fit my feet. Even the few times I found "wide" sizes their "wide" was still really narrow. So never had a pair of ghillies.

Now...God love Softstar shoes they've just made an Oxford in super wide sizes that will fit me ( I know this from wearing other styles of Softstar shoes for years),,,

I'll add Ghillie laces to them and it should let me wear the look of the ghillie in total comfort.

Softstar also makes a wingtip but not in black.

https://www.softstarshoes.com/adult-...on-oxford.html

Yes, not cheap...but hand crafted and ?? What price comfort??
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Far be it from me to suggest what you should do, but with the greatest respect can I suggest that you forego the long laces. They are arguably not particularly practical and do smack of the rather theatrical "hire company look".
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 2nd May 23 at 03:10 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, the only time I've seen long Ghillie laces on ordinary brogues is when somebody joins a Pipe Band and they don't have Ghillies, but want the look of laces around the ankles to match the rest of the band.

When bands wore white hose it mattered. Now that bands wear black, charcoal grey, or navy blue hose it doesn't.

In fact I predicted that bands going to black hose would spell the end of Ghillies, because you can't see what sort of shoes are being worn, and Ghillies are nearly universally despised by Pipe Band people.

I was wrong.

About the fit of Ghillies, like all shoes they vary from maker to maker. Though in trainers and casual shoes I wear medium width, in dress shoes and especially Ghillies medium width is usually too tight.

Avriel in Canada makes these Ghillies which are claimed to be very wide and roomy and also come in quite large sizes.

https://www.avriel.com/piper-39-s-co.../prod_220.html

I wish I could try some on to see.

Personally I had a hard time finding Ghillies that fit until I came across these

Last edited by OC Richard; 2nd May 23 at 04:17 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. Always wondered how those long laces stayed up...

And thanks for the tip on the wide ghillies but methinks they look still to narrow in the toe box.

Pulled the trigger on some blue wingtips....will wait for the day they offer it them in black. The black oxfords seemed too plain.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have wide feet and find it difficult to find comfortable shoes. I have been considering the Black wing tip by Dr Comfort. They allow you to wear them and return them if they don't fit. Price sounds almost too good to be true at $117.
    Born and raised in foothills of the Appalachians a son of American Revolution, of Union Veterans of Civil War, member First Families of Ohio and proud member of Clans MacBean and Chattan.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    Always wondered how those long laces stayed up...
    People who wear Ghillies all the time, Pipe Band people, generally do the practical sensible thing and tie the laces around the narrow part of the leg, just as wristwatches are worn around the narrow part of the arm.

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    About the fit of Ghillies, like all shoes they vary from maker to maker. Though in trainers and casual shoes I wear medium width, in dress shoes and especially Ghillies medium width is usually too tight.

Avriel in Canada makes these Ghillies which are claimed to be very wide and roomy and also come in quite large sizes.

https://www.avriel.com/piper-39-s-co.../prod_220.html

I wish I could try some on to see.

Personally I had a hard time finding Ghillies that fit until I came across these

I too have wide feet. In dress shoes, I usually need at least EE width, even EEE width with some shoes. I can't even wear most sneakers. I recently tried on a pair of walking shoes advertised as being wide width, but couldn't even get my foot into them. The only ghillie brogues I have found that I can wear comfortably are those made by Avriel. I currently wear a pair of their size 10.5 wide orthotic ghillies, which have an extra-wide toe box and extra depth to accommodate insoles. These features combined with their thick, rubber soles make these shoes extremely comfortable. I can wear them all day at highland games and in parades with no discomfort. I highly recommend this brand, which is made in North America (Mexico, actually, so technically NA) to boot. Several of my band members are also wearing this brand of ghillies and find them very comfortable.