X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone else ever done this?

I was camping kilted for the first time a little while back and when I camp, I always carry a couple of blades. My sgian was of course in my sock, though when I'm camping in the medieval it is through the knot of my tunic belt, and other times it is in a specially made carrier that lets me wear it as a neck knife. But I always like to carry a larger blade for some of the various other duties that camping can throw at you. I tried wearing my usual knife for the job in the dirk position, bit it was just awkward. It doesn't have the same style belt loop and as a result doesn't allow for the same level of mobility. So I thought it through and decided to try it on the second buckle on my right side. It fits almost inside of the ending reverse deep pleat on my kilts. This is what it looks like there.

In my opinion the handle stain looks good with the Scottish National kilt as well.
    Has anyone ever tried this before? If so are there any points that I should be taking into consideration?
    Keep your rings charged, pleats in the back, and stay geeky!
    https://kiltedlantern.wixsite.com/kiltedlantern

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I wouldn't wear a knife there but it seems to be working for you. Handsome blade. Sharp kilt.

BTW, I've noticed that my peats sometimes flare like yours ar the fell. Does anyone know why this is and how to remedy it?
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't done it; looks workable. How was it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strain and distortion on the strap and fabric at that point.

If that does not happen, then why not? People are always hanging drinking mugs, cameras and all sorts of other kit from the straps.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Chas For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as it stays tucked in tight and doesn't catch on things, why not? That's why I never liked a dirk hanging from a frog. It would always seem to get in the way as you moved around .
    " Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bren, I don't carry a knife there normally, but it was more convenient in the situation. My pleats look so rough because I was rained on and sitting in them. It acted like ironing them spread. I was told to press them wile the pleats are parallel and it should solve the problem.

Tripleblessed, it worked fairly well. It is a bit more like wearing one when not kilted. It keeps it accessible yet out of the way.

I didn't notice it putting any stress on anything, but though it's beefy it isn't overly heavy. I wouldn't try a broad sword or axe there. I think I'm just more comfortable with it there because it is very near where I carry my utility dagger when reenacting.
    Keep your rings charged, pleats in the back, and stay geeky!
    https://kiltedlantern.wixsite.com/kiltedlantern

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Didymous View Post
    Bren, I don't carry a knife there normally, but it was more convenient in the situation. My pleats look so rough because I was rained on and sitting in them. It acted like ironing them spread. I was told to press them wile the pleats are parallel and it should solve the problem.

Tripleblessed, it worked fairly well. It is a bit more like wearing one when not kilted. It keeps it accessible yet out of the way.

I didn't notice it putting any stress on anything, but though it's beefy it isn't overly heavy. I wouldn't try a broad sword or axe there. I think I'm just more comfortable with it there because it is very near where I carry my utility dagger when reenacting.

Ah! Gotcha! Well, I think that however you wear it that it's a fine knife, sir.

Chas,
    Thanks for the heads-up. I don't have a hip buckle and strap on my kilt. In fact, the kilt in question does that when worn looser, too. Maybe I did a sloppy job pressing. I'll take a look later.
    The Official [BREN]