X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Emmys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Emmys

Wouldn't be caught dead watching them, but a headline photo of a kilted fellow accepting one caught my eye. So I found the red carpet photos for the event and...

Richard Gadd.

And then there was also this...

Alan Cumming

Last edited by MacKenzie; 17th September 24 at 02:03 PM.
    Tulach Ard

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacKenzie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hell of a lot going wrong here. Looks like Mr Gadd needs to pull his kilt up and his sporran down... but also, get a correct length for his jacket.

For this other guy... hmm, too many different plaids all going at once. Wearing slacks underneath what appears to be a black tutu. An attempted designer outfit that seems to be in total war with itself when it comes down to conceptualizing form and function.

4. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to spr0k3t For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Mr. Gadd didn't wear his kilt well. But the kilt is top notch. It was made by Lady Chrystel. An order placed by Lowe.
    I saw it made in front of my very eyes for I happen to be Lady Chrystel's husband !
    Robert Amyot-MacKinnon

6. The Following 10 Users say 'Aye' to Ancienne Alliance For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spr0k3t View Post
    For this other guy... hmm, too many different plaids all going at once.
    Good eye. I didn't even notice that the tie was a different pattern (tartan?) than the shirt and sash(?).
    Last edited by MacKenzie; 17th September 24 at 09:25 AM.
    Tulach Ard

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacKenzie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancienne Alliance View Post
    Mr. Gadd didn't wear his kilt well.
    A shame. A great opportunity - on the world's stage, if you will - missed.
    Tulach Ard

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MacKenzie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr. Gadd didn't wear his kilt well. But the kilt is top notch. It was made by Lady Chrystel. An order placed by Lowe.
    I saw it made in front of my very eyes for I happen to be Lady Chrystel's husband !
    Solid. Lady Chrystel does impeccable work. I just wish more people wearing kilts would represent better. I understand that some have to try and make it their own style... but there's a certain point of missing the mark where it's hard to tell if they even made an effort. Case in point: Snoop Dogg. While not worn correctly, he pulled it off very well. If Mr Gadd would have had the length of the jacket brought up just 4cm and maybe cut high on the sleeves at 10mm or so to show some cuff while resting (siimilar to the Bolero cut), he could have gotten away with the rest. It just looks like he's wearing the kilt at the belly line rather than true waist making his legs look extremely short. The lack of a small drop from the true waist to the top of the day-wear sporran just over emphasizes the effect.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for Alan Cumming, his kilt-wear ranges from bizarre to fairly traditional.

Here's how he dressed to receive his OBE at Buckingham Palace; if wearing a traditional sporran he might have stepped out of a Victorian photograph.

(He later returned his OBE, but that's another story.)
    Last edited by OC Richard; 18th September 24 at 07:43 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    As for Alan Cumming, his kilt-wear ranges from bizarre to fairly traditional.

Here's how he dressed to receive his OBE at Buckingham Palace; if wearing a traditional sporran he might have stepped out of a Victorian photograph.

(He later returned his OBE, but that's another story.)
    Well this picture is an improvement on the earlier pictures! In its modern way the gentleman at least does not “butcher” the essence of the more traditional kilt attire look.

Although to my eye, those well polished boots do look rather rustic when the importance of occasion is taken into account.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post

to my eye, those well polished boots do look rather rustic when the importance of occasion is taken into account.
    Yes to me it looks like a bit of a fashion faux pas to wear boots like that to Buckingham Palace. It puts in mind a groundskeeper or something.

Then again, people here wear cowboy boots with suits and tuxedos regardless of the level of formality.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lady C's skill with needle and thread is top-notch, and is a testament to itself. She is without doubt the best kiltmaker and costumiere on The Continent.

So it's a great pity our 'star' of stage and screen dressed himself so sloppily.

I wonder what Lady C. thought to her skill and effort being displayed in such a disappointing way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast