X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt making in the Great British Sewing Bee

I was looking at previous episodes of the Great British Sewing Bee on BBC iplayer, and in series 3 episode 4, at 36 minutes in the contestants are given 6 hours to make a mans kilt. One of the presenters, Patrick, is wearing a kilt - but the structure of it seems rather soft to me, and the advice on the height of the edge a bit iffy.
    The program has generated interest around the world, so it has been appearing on various channels - it might be worth taking a look at it if you have it available even if it is more what to avoid than to copy.
    I am just a a busy time of year at the moment, as the University has its knitting machines looked at during the summer vacation, so have only watched the first few minutes of the challenge - and the kilt has to be entirely finished in 6 hours!!

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know about that show!

My wife and I are addicted to The Great British Bake Off, Location Location Location, Escape to the Country, Long Lost Family, and other BBC shows, so this is right up our street.

I took an Elsie Stuehmeyer kiltmaking class and I can't imagine that all the processes involved in her method could be completed in 6 hours.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 21st June 24 at 02:43 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been going a while now - the 10th series is ongoing at the moment.
    There has been a child's kilt and child's waistcoat made, but all sorts of garments are included, and some are rather surprising other's simply jaw dropping.

The construction methods of the pattern challenges are shown, plus the patterns used in the made to measure are described, and there are successes and failures along the way.

The show has its own Facebook pages.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another kilt, this one for a child, in series 6 episode 10, as the first challenge of the program.

Anne the Pleater