X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gretna Green and Hawick

Been away flying today - no opportunities to try out the new camera on some aerial photography as it was rather hazy and there was a lot of turbulence, but later I went back to collect Ann at Gretna where I had left her at the shopping mall in the morning, then back home to Hawick where I took a few pics along the High Street while our takeaway meal was being prepared at the local Indian restaurant.

First or last house in Scotland depending on which way you are going, containing old marriage room. The boundary with England is the river next to it on the south.

Ann at Gretna Gateway

The Hawick Horse commemorates the Battle of Hornshole of 1514, one of the minor Borders battles but one which the Scots won, capturing the Hexham standard.

The High Street on a Sunday evening. The Town Hall with its clock tower was built in 1880 and is a smaller version of the one in Aberdeen.

Drumlanrig's Tower. The section on the right is Hawick's oldest building and originally formed Drumlanrig's Tower, home of a branch of the family Douglas of Drumlanrig. It was later incorporated into a stagecoach inn where horses would be changed and passengers could sleep overnight (the newer part on the left). It remained in use as a hotel until the 1980's with the stables being used as a car garage. The Council bought the property and turned it into a museum and tourism office.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That first or last house is a great one, at least to me, sort of like seeing yourself coming and going.
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like you have a good new camera there, Alex. Well chosen! Thanks too for the views of Hawick. It's not an area I know at all, but feel now that I'd like to.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's really cool. The fellas I met in Amsterdam were from Hawick. They are a part of the Hawick R.S.C. crew. I still keep in touch with one of them. His name is Ewan Lawrence.
    steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like how the name Hamish is in the background behind the statue of Hawick Horse! What are the chances.
    steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent pictures! I think these little guided tours are great. Thanks for taking the time to post 'em!

blu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the snapshots, Alex.

I see the little Irish flags strung across the road in the foreground in the snapshot above - and then other international flags beyond. Is there a significance, or just welcoming guests from all parts of the U.K. and the world?

Regards,
    Scott Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pictures!
    [B]Paul Murray[/B]
    Kilted in Detroit! Now that's tough.... LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ta fur the pics!

very nice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics! I love the first/last house, that's cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast