X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC Richard

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OC Richard

Good picture of OC Richard at the worlds.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not showing as either an insert or an attachment.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be interesting to see! I heard about it, but I don't know where it was posted or by whom.

The weather was quite changeable, except for the incessant wind which made it feel colder than it was, raining on and off with brief moments of sun, so I could have been bundled up in a Rain Cape, wearing my heavy tweed Argyll, or competing with the band in waistcoat.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    It would be interesting to see! I heard about it, but I don't know where it was posted or by whom.

The weather was quite changeable, except for the incessant wind which made it feel colder than it was, raining on and off with brief moments of sun, so I could have been bundled up in a Rain Cape, wearing my heavy tweed Argyll, or competing with the band in waistcoat.
    Mustering as much friendly sarcasm as I can. Anyone would think that you spent your time summering in Scotland!

I hope that you all had a great time nevertheless.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Mustering as much friendly sarcasm as I can. Anyone would think that you spent your time summering in Scotland!

I hope that you all had a great time nevertheless.
    We did have a great time!

The locals were in disbelief when we told them that we were thrilled to escape the California weather.

It had been dreadfully hot the weeks leading up to our trip and we rejoiced in the cool overcast Glasgow weather.

There was only a bit of rain on three days out of our 10-day stay, a small price to pay.

Actually at the Perth Games (Sunday 11 August) the sun was blazing all day and we were unprepared.

Pretty much all of our US Southwest Games are sunny and hot, and we know how to cope: we slather ourselves in sun-block and wear sunglasses and big hats.

But most of us had brought none of this for our Scotland trip. Only one guy in the band had packed his big floppy sun hat, a few had their sunglasses, and no-one had their sun-block.

So, ironically, many of us got a pretty good sunburn that day.

There were a half-dozen California bands there and the presenter at the march-past gave us credit for the warm sunny weather, which we cursed under our breath.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 19th August 24 at 03:32 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, a piper friend sent me the link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T9wH5CQfQs

It wasn't filmed on Saturday (17 August) when the Worlds proper took place, but on the day before, when our band and many other bands, in ordinary clothes, were rehearsing on Glasgow Green.

A 2:03 you can see our piper Dan and his Long Beach Pipe Band bag-cover. At 2:12 you can see me.

Only the Grade One bands compete on Friday, a system begun when there were too many Grade One bands to play in a single Saturday contest.

So preliminary heats were held on Friday for the Grade One bands who didn't pre-qualify from their previous year's placings.

Oddly, after Covid when fewer bands attended making a preliminary heat unnecessary, the Friday contest wasn't abolished.

Thus Glasgow Green has kitted-out Grade One bands competing and mufti-clad pipe bands rehearsing on Friday.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 19th August 24 at 03:43 PM.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many underestimate the Scottish sun! Whilst we don’t get the oppressive heat that some of you chaps get on a fairly regular basis, it is apparently the lack of air pollution———-not all of Scotland believe this!————that makes our sun so powerful.

If it is of any comfort to you we are at present , as I type, in the midst of yet another pretty powerful storm system with strong winds and heavy rain. The weather has this year been dogged by storm after storm and those of us in the agricultural world here would dearly love to see the back of this year!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    We did have a great time!

The locals were in disbelief when we told them that we were thrilled to escape the California weather.
    I can confirm this.

I got into conversation with a lady from Sacramento whilst at the Aboyne games, and she said how pleasant it was to spend time in pleasantly warm temperatures, and surrounded by lush greenery.

Just like her Californian winter, she said.

Can we do a trade, do you think? Some of our Scottish cold and wet for some of your Californian warm and dry..?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    If it is of any comfort to you we are at present , as I type, in the midst of yet another pretty powerful storm system with strong winds and heavy rain.
    We were watching the weather forecasts and it seemed we were leaving just in time! (We all flew out of Glasgow Airport on Sunday.)

It looked like rain all week, and maybe the week after that.

When I arrived at John Wayne Airport (Orange County, California) at 10pm it was 24c and it will get up to 34c today. I'm piping for a funeral at the hottest part of the day.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 20th August 24 at 03:29 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post

Can we do a trade, do you think? Some of our Scottish cold and wet for some of your Californian warm and dry..?
    Oh you don't want to trade for what we have!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM5Tr5uoIQ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmHj_OUjk_s

that was two weeks ago, here's yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcYI9yUJYXk&t=59s
    Last edited by OC Richard; 20th August 24 at 03:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast