X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battlefield Band

I had a chance to see the Battlefield Band last night at the Aladdin Theater, a small hall in Portland OR. My wife and one of my daughters accompanied me, but very few others chose to come. I estimated 100 people in the theater, less than a quarter of capacity for the room. It was a shame really because the show was great and deserved a much larger audience than it got. There were about 20 kilted guys there, by the way. Like any band tha's been around for 30 years the membership has changed but this current group was fun and put on a good show with pipes, fiddles, whistles, guitar, bazouki, and keyboards.

Fiddler Mike Katz, who hails from the Isle of Lewis, told about living under the shadow of "the Gaelic Mafia". He said they're just a mysterious as the Italian Mafia, but where the Italian Mafia makes you an offer you can't refuse the Gaelic Mafia makes you an offer you can't understand.

Jamie
    Quondo Omni Flunkus Moritati

Southern Breeze is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like you had a good night.I've heard them several times on Highlander Radio and like what I hear.

Graham is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great band they are, I'm glad you had a chance to see them, but isn't Mike Katz the piper not the fiddler? I believe Alastair White is the fiddler.

When I saw them in Tassie John McCusker was with them with Karine Polwart who i met and interviewed. It was a great lineup, Karine (Malinky) has a wonderful voice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham
    isn't Mike Katz the piper not the fiddler? I believe Alastair White is the fiddler.
    Absolutely right Graham! I'd like to say I was testing you and you passed, but the truth is I was so tickled with the story that I scrambled the names. Alasdair White is the fiddler who told the story and Mike Katz is the piper. A fine piper he is too, and an American to boot. One of our leading pipeing instructors was in the audience and was intently scrutinizing Katz's every move. By the expression on his face I think he gave high marks.

Jamie
    Quondo Omni Flunkus Moritati

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have loved to have been there. They never come this direction. :sad: Though founding member, Brian McNeill, comes to the TSF yearly.

They really started the folk revival in Scotland, & scandalized people by being the first band to combine pipes with synthesizers. They are marvelously talented.

Sherry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Battlefield in Spokane

When they came to Spokane a few years ago they had a small audience too. There was very little advertisement. I wish they would let us know, I would be willing to get our St. Andrew's folks to do some publiciity. They are fun to hear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battlefield Band Rules!

Over the years I've seen these guys too many times to count accurately (including twice this summer). If you can see them on this (or any other) tour, do it! The piping is always hot and rest of the band kicks!

(Although I will say I have a marked preference for them in the "good ole days" when Brian MacNeill was still with them-also when Ged Foley was with them)

In the same vein, check out the Tannahill Weavers.

Drone on!
    WSG
    Last edited by wgority; 21st November 05 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Grammar correction
    The tradition continues!
    The Pipers Gathering at Killington, VT