X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New UK Survival...Off the Rack...Short Jones

After waiting 12 weeks for my first UK, my 7th arrived in just two days...lucked out and got a new tan survival off the rack.

Pockets are pretty interesting...much more than I'd guessed from posts or from the UK website. The funny little barrel buttons on elastic were a surprise too. A unique modesty deal I'm probably not gonna use. Thinking about just cutting them off, but gonna wait and see.

Do like the waist snaps like on they UK leather..wonder why they're not on the other models. Guess with my new snap equipment I could add some myself. Gonna think that through.

Gotta break it in, looks like a good choice for my hike down to Havasupai this May.

Anyway, just a joy to pay for the kilt and get it within 48 hours. The way it should be in a perfect world.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The survival was designed so that it could be worn without a belt, hence the extra waist snaps. They're real easy to add to any other kilts though, but I like the belted look and wouldnt wear them without anyway.

There is a good chance a survival is going to be my next kilt, though of course there is the choc chip cammo...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a Survival of the rack a few weeks ago. I had to jones a week. It is the older style of fabric. I hear the newer one is thicker.

I have to say I am impressed. It is very comfortable and has a ton of feactures. I admit I do not understand how the modesty system works. I guess I won't use it or need it.

I'd say the fit is different than a custom measured kilt. Sort of like a pair of jeans compares to tailored pants. It rides a little hi or lo on my waist depending of my belt and meal size.

Honestly I wish they had a few more color choices. I got the Tan but I am not too into the Sage. I'd buy another in a different color if they had them. Maybe it is time to look a Workmen's Kilt...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'm the third person who bought the tan survival kilt off the rack. I picked mine up just after Christmas. I would have actually liked to get the sage, but it wasn't available in my size...

I love it. The removable pockets are are great for flying (security checks) and taking them off can really slim down the kilt if you need to.

I haven't used the modesty system either, but like Atticus said, I'm not sure how they are supposed to work. I have used the snaps to keep the apron down though, and for that purpose I have used them.

The survival is more than worth the investment.

George

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Atticus STOP!! Whatever you do don't get a black workman's...NO NO NO...you'll NEVER wear anything else!!

Ron
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new survivals also come in black, in addition to the khaki and sage.

If you go to the UK page for the survival they have a pictoral on the use of the modesty system.

Works better than the workmans snaps but still mostly useless I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to re-attempt to successfully use the modesty straps...

"Honey, I'm going to play with my modesty system."

I don't know how that sounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the UK modesty snaps when climbing up a ladder to place lighting for a student film project. I've also used them when crossing a gas station lot during a fierce wind. Very handy, I've found.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gee gaws shown on the UK webpage for the modesty system on the survival are not the same gizmos that are attached to my new survival kilt.

I've also located some buttonholes in the fabric that the gizmos I have can barely fit through...not sure exactly whether to just put the gizmo (looks like a barrel button on a ladies coat) through the button hole and let it stay there, or connect it on through to the elastic loop.

Also tried attaching the gizmo to the loop on the underapron, guessing that's the wind deal...it pulls that narrow front apron askew.

I'm just experimenting and probably have it all messed up because there really aren't any clear instructions for whats being sent out now. The web picture just leaves me scratching my head and wondering why I drank so much as a youth...really could use those long dead brain cells to figure this deal out.

So far, just not using them...considering cutting them off even...not gonna rush into that option yet.

A clear set of instructions would be a nice thing. Help me figure out what the designer had in mind instead of having to guess and play around with it.

Ron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my survival UK, thrilled to hear they will have it in black...I am not a Sage guy either. ok crash course on the modesty system, which I love. Living in the midwest it gets windy here!

barrel and loops on apron. take the barrels and insert them through the elastic loops on the oppisite arpon. this will hold it closed when a wind hits.

they are also barrels at the back of the kilt, reach down and pull those between your legs and insert them through the holes in the apron. this turns them into an odds shorts type garment. never used them myself.

I would say if they cause your apron to go askew they were not put on right and give Otto a call and tell him. they will fix it for free toot sweet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast