X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal best

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personal best

Alright I have said before that I am interested in the Scottish heavy athletics, and have been working out trying to get back into shape as not to hurt or embarrass myself. I have been in the gym 4-6 days a week for about two months now. It has been several years since any sort of work out routine was tried by me, thanks mostly to a car accident. Well today was my heavy leg work out day and on the leg press I was able to do three sets of fifteen reps at 255 lbs. To some this might not seem like alot but for me it was phenomanal and to add to that it is 15lbs. above my body weight. Just wanted to share this with the other athletes out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! You have come a long way--that's something to be proud of.

Moosedog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are ready to lift the caber. Now you need to practice balance...
    Wallace Catanach, Kiltmaker

A day without killting is like a day without sunshine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    keep it up. when my daughter and I were working out full time we were up to 405 lbs leg presses. which is saying something for my daughter who weights in at 112 lbs. In fact I need to get back into the lifting, been slacking severely as of late.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats. I need to follow your lead and start working out also. My lady and I are planning to start dieting and working out starting next Monday. Hopefully I can keep it up like you. I just want to lose 10 pounds around my gut. Shouldn't be too hard, I just need to stick with it.

I think the Flagstaff Highland games are coming here fairly soon. We'll have to caravan up there if you're interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PB's, PR's, those are definitely what I am after. Sure, I like it when I place high in the rankings, but if I set a new PR during the outing I'm even happier.

I think I am about to set some new PR's on the Open and Braemar stones at the next game, and I'd like to set some for the WFD too.

I can't control the other athletes in my class so sometimes you'll get shown up by a stud, sometimes you are that stud for everyone else. So long as I am throwing where *I* need to be throwing I'm happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great advise Yaish that is why I'm doing this it is for me, I am not trying to impress anyone or prove anything to anyone but me. I can't decide if to compete in the novice or the masters catagories since I am 42 yrs old, but I have time to decide my time table is maybe the Tucson games in Nov. if I feel ready but definately the Mesa games next Feb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well both the Novice and Masters will be throwing the 42lb heavyweight, so there really isn't any difference other than the competition you'll be facing.

Just for reference, most Masters actually throw around the B or even A level, there really is something to old age and craftiness.

Novice will have some first timers who haven't got a clue, but it might also have some studs who throw track or are just natural athletes, but never threw in a Highland Games before. In other words the Novice has no consistency, but the Masters has some pretty tough throwers.

Savona, Italy between Genoa and the French border.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations, it is a good result!
    I would like to partecipate to some Highland games, but since 2006 I have a problem to the bones of my left leg, so I cannot move easily. I will be operated next year and even after this I will not do strong efforts or fast torsions of my legs...
    So no Higland Games....

Till 2002 I trained my legs doing complete squat with the olympic arm (I hope the translation it is good) doing series of five with 340kg.
    I was really proud of the strenght of my legs, but this continuos efforts and my weight accelerated my problem... However, I'll run again next year!

I hope you will have a lot of Great Games!!
    Play the games even for me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I basically did the same thing elrond. I managed to damage my left hamstring doing heavy leg presses in 2005 and I am still trying to get my strength back.

I know how hard you have worked Arizona Scot, so be proud of your accomplishment!

I think I would compete as a novice until you get a few more games under your kilt!

Andy Johnson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast