X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

16 oz. or 13 oz.

I received my first wool kilt in March, a Lochcarron 16 oz. five yard. In October I received my second wool kilt, a House of Edgar 13 oz. five yard. I really like them both, but I find I wear my 13 oz. more it seems to me that it just hangs nicer and feels better. The 13 oz. seems to relax the wrinkles from wearing and sitting better then the 16 oz. I will be getting more wool kilts. I think I will Marton Mills for my next 16 oz. kilt.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Richrail For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to your personal experience is 13 oz not a bit lightweight for a kilt? Maybe this cloth is better for warmer days?
    I have no idea myself.
    With your back against the sea, the enemy can come only from three sides.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wearing my 13 oz. last night. While I was out feeding horses the temperature was around 25 degrees Fahrenheit. The 13 oz was very comfortable.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Richrail For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like this discussion pops up now and again but it's another "it depends" sort of thing. I have one kilt in 16 ounce Strome and another in Strathmore's 13 ounce W60 material. Both seem to weigh about the same and as far as wearing them out in any weather is concerned, the difference in warmness or coolness is negligible.

Best,

AA
    ANOTHER KILTED LEBOWSKI AND...HEY, CAREFUL, MAN, THERE'S A BEVERAGE HERE!

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to auld argonian For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an 8 yard Welsh Cilt (Edwards) made of 13 ounce wool and an 8 yard 16 ounce (Ancient Clergy) Scottish kilt and I don't know if it is the weight of the material or the type of wool used, but the 16 ounce feels more dense and heavier. Both seem to lose any wrinkles rather quickly, but it seems to me that the 16 ounce does not wrinkle as easily as the 13 ounce. Personally, I like the feel of the 16 ounce a little more. It just seems more substantial.
    Chaps
    U.S. Navy Chaplain and Presbyterian Clergyman
    You cannot antagonize and influence at the same time. John Knox

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Chaps For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richrail: I have two 13 oz. kilts and like them very much. But, I prefer my heavier kilts. They hang, feel, swing, and recover as well, or better, than the former in my experience. I have never had a problem with any of the kilts holding their wrinkles.

I simply lay them on a bed inside-up, when I take them off, leave them overnight, and then hang them on a kilt hanger from "The Kilt Kit". Next time I use them any wrinkles are gone. The tartan cloth was woven either at Lochcarron or Dalgliesh.

I have been tempted to obtain a Stewart Hunting Modern kilt in 18 oz. House of Edgar cloth, but have resisted that temptation to date. I do own a 4-yard Clan MacDonald kilt from tartan woven at Lochcarron and love its heavier weight.

mookien
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to mookien For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mookien View Post
    Richrail: I have two 13 oz. kilts and like them very much. But, I prefer my heavier kilts. They hang, feel, swing, and recover as well, or better, than the former in my experience. I have never had a problem with any of the kilts holding their wrinkles.

I simply lay them on a bed inside-up, when I take them off, leave them overnight, and then hang them on a kilt hanger from "The Kilt Kit". Next time I use them any wrinkles are gone. The tartan cloth was woven either at Lochcarron or Dalgliesh.

I have been tempted to obtain a Stewart Hunting Modern kilt in 18 oz. House of Edgar cloth, but have resisted that temptation to date. I do own a 4-yard Clan MacDonald kilt from tartan woven at Lochcarron and love its heavier weight.

mookien
    Richrail ,

A friend of mine owns both a 16 oz kilt from Dalgliesh and a 13 oz kilt from Strathmore . He likes both of them and as " mookien " has said , he notices no difference in relaxing the wrinkles . They both perform quite well . Like yourself , he likes the lighter 13 oz .

As for myself , I like them both , but I have a personal preference for the heavier fabric . Also as mookien stated , I like the hang , feel and swing of the heavier fabric .

mookien ,

To your point about an 18 oz kilt . I have one kilt in an 18 oz fabric and I absolutely love it .

The kilt was ordered in an 8 yd 16 oz tartan " bespoke " ( normal for me ) , however , they asked if I would mind that a heavier weight be used for my particular kilt order ( for the same price ) . Not sure the reason , I assume it was leftover tartan from another larger order .

At any rate , I love the hang , swing and wear of it . I can definitely tell the difference .

If you like the heavier kilts , I don't think you will be disappointed with the 18 oz fabric .

Cheers , Mike
    Mike Montgomery
    Clan Montgomery Society , International

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richrail View Post
    The 13 oz. seems to relax the wrinkles from wearing and sitting better then the 16 oz.
    This run counter to otherwise conventional wisdom. Generally the heavier material "relaxes" or "hangs out" and returns to it shape "easier". I have both 16 and 13oz kilts and find that my experience is the opposite of yours. I find that the heavier weight (which is not really discernible as a wearer, incidentally) tends to resist wrinkles more and when it does wrinkle that the straightens out more easily.

Interesting that you have the opposite experience. Fascinating what you can get from this forum!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike: You wrote ...

"To your point about an 18 oz kilt . I have one kilt in an 18 oz fabric and I absolutely love it . "

and

"If you like the heavier kilts , I don't think you will be disappointed with the 18 oz fabric ."

Shame on you! Tempting me.

I didn't make it clear, but my Clan MacDonald kilt is made from 18 oz. Lochcarron cloth. It's a 4-yard casual from stock cloth I bought from Burnett's and Struth. I'm not sure, but the impression I got was that is was "left-over" cloth from and earlier, larger order. I was thrilled to get it at the same price as 16 oz.

By the way, I own 5 B&S kilts in 4-, 5-, and even 6-yard cloth. They are great kilts for the money. And, perhaps most importantly, I have PLENTY of kilts now, so I don't need a new one! I keep telling myself that, anyway.

John
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to mookien For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also found the 13 oz HOE to be quite resistant to wrinkles and quick to release them. I did a 3 hour test drive in my 8 yard 13 oz HOE jut to see how it would behave and what wrinkles did form fell out by morning.

For a knife pleated kilt I would get the tartan sett size and colorway I wanted and not worry about the difference in weight between 13 and 16 oz.

17. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to McElmurry For This Useful Post: