X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question regarding material and construction options

I am hoping to get a response from Rocky, "The Man" himself; Given that it is his company I would imagine his answers would be the most precise!

I am strongly considering making USAKilts my go-to kilt makers, but have a few questions regarding certain models:

1. The Casual: First, is it possible to have it made to sit on the kilt waist and not the jeans waist? Is this just a matter of providing the correct waist/length measurements?
    I would also like to have a better idea of what the material truly looks like and feels like. The reason for this is that my sleeve linings of my winter coat are also a PV mix (52%/48%), which while not the same mix as the Casual Kilt, is close. I do not know if this material can be woven in various ways, or if the weight of the fabric has a lot to do with it, but it seems to me that this material in no way could fool even the uninitiated into thinking it is wool. I really hope I am wrong and that the PV used in the Kilts is very different from what I see in my coat. Perhaps a closeup picture of the material placed next to some nice wool would give me the perspective I seek?

2. The 5 yard Wool: Is it possible to get one of these with plain straps? I am never a fan of ornamentation, and it may seem silly but the embossed straps are a complete turn-off for me, and would sadly be a deal-breaker on what otherwise seems an excellent product for a very fair price.

Thank You!

Mathew
    Last edited by Mathew MacKillop; 9th January 15 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Spelling!

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ask and you shall receive...

1) Yes, we can make it fit at the natural waist... simply adjust the LENGTH of the kilt when following our measuring instructions. For an image of the cloth next to wool, send me an email and I'll snap a quick "close up" photo with my phone and email the image to you. To the untrained eye, not many people can tell the difference between our PV cloth and our wool cloth (aside from the sett size which is usually a bit smaller on the PV tartans, but not always).

You can also ask others on Xmarks for their feedback on how PV feels / wears compared to wool. I would like to suggest you ask those who have one of OUR kilts in PV and another kilt (ours or not) in wool, so you're comparing apples to apples.

2) Yes, we can happily make one with standard straps (the same straps 99% of kiltmakers use and the same ones we use on our Semi Trad model). Just send a follow up email once you place your order asking for "NON EMBOSSED" straps and we'll make note of it on the order ticket.
    Last edited by RockyR; 9th January 15 at 10:09 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to RockyR For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rocky! I appreciate the speed and courtesy of your response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son has one of Rocky's casual kilt cut to the natural waist and it looks great and he loves it. Between us we have 3 USA kilts and are 100% satisfied. Rocky and his people are great to work with and turn out a top notch product.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomak For This Useful Post:

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a number of USA Kilts, including 2 in Albannach tartan, a 5 yard wool and a casual cut to kilt waist. The wool sett is a little larger. The casual pleats are a little smaller. The fabric, while the pv is to my eye and hand a little smoother, a little more like a heavy suiting fabric, but only slightly. The casual kilt from any distance looks like what it is, a kilt made from quality material. I was complimented on my appearance by Jamesie of Albannach while we shared a couple of brews at Colonial Highland Games in Maryland while wearing the USAK Casual. So I suspect the Casual looks like a kilt.
    Last edited by Geoff Withnell; 9th January 15 at 04:25 PM.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a casual kilt and a semi-traditional kilt from USAK, and most people just think it's a light-weight wool, as it has a pretty decent swing and lays well. But if you look up close, you can spot the differences. It has a tighter weave than wool, since the individual fibers are thinner. It's also teflon treated, so it's very resistant to spills and what-not.

While I'm also a details-oriented person, I appreciate your thought in comparing it to your coat lining. The blend % could be similar. However, think of it this way: my summer casual shirt is 100% linen, and so is the canvas that's on my oil painting, or my friend's sail boat. All three of them are made of the same % of the same material, but due to the different thicknesses, weaves, and treatments, they are completely different animals.

I like that PV a lot as a light-weight kilt material, and would not even think of comparing it to coat/jacket lining. USAK has picked some great material to use. But remember not to compare it to other PV material other people use... totally different animals yet again. (I believe Rocky sourced Marton Mill's PV cloth, which is heads and tails above the other PV often used in other cheap kilts elsewhere.)
    Last edited by HuDonald; 13th January 15 at 09:53 AM.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to HuDonald For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Everyone!

I expect that the way it is woven has a lot to do with it, and less "V" and more "P" in the mix may be significant as well. There is no way that I would want a kilt made of the same stuff my jacket is lined with; it's nice and smooth and easy to pull my arms out of, but I cringe to imagine what that stuff would feel like against bare skin for any length of time. It may be useful to note here that I detest the feel of silk against my skin, too (it seems to "catch" against the skin as opposed to glide over the skin), so it may well just be me who is an odd duck.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have three of Rocky's casual kilts one semi-trad and two 5 yard wool. The casual kilts are my go to for summer here in the high desert. The semi-traditional I like for nicer occasions. I would say that USAkilts is my go to kilt maker. I love the embossed kilt straps on my wool kilts, I just think it is a really nice touch. Rocky has always be exceptional to work with.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The P/V that a kilt is woven in has nothing to do with the P/V that a coat or sleeve lining might be woven in. It's the same material, and maybe even the same ratios, but a different thread size. Your shirt is made of cotton, and so is a Carhardt's coat, but those aren't remotely the same. Likewise, a suit is made of wool, and so is a winter overcoat, but those aren't the same. Never mind different weaves (a lining is usually a satin weave, whereas the kilt will be a twill weave).

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Andrew Breecher For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See, this is the sort of thing that it would be impossible for me to know if it were not for this forum. There are Zero locations around me that sell anything even remotely highland, so locally I have no resources for this valuable info. Though I still cannot do a "feel" test to compare, the well-considered responses I have received are almost as good!

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mathew MacKillop For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast