X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wallace Jacket or Kilt Kut Jacket

I see that USA Kilts has a modern kilt jacket (Wallace) and Freedom Kilts has the Kilt Kut jacket. From the websites, it appears that the jackets have a similar more modern appearance. The Wallace seems to be in Black barethea while the Kilt Kut has more fabric options. Are these the essential differences or is there something I am missing. I do like the appearance of both these jackets and am confident that both are very well made or they would not be offered. My concern is fit in larger size that I would require etc. Does anyone have experience with both? thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As this is Rocky's forum section I will address this from my perspective only.

The Wallace and the Kilt Kut jackets are made by the same people. Perhaps the largest jacket makers in the UK.

The Kilt Kut Suit Coat that I offer does differ slightly from the standard Wallace.

A Wallace Jacket and Vest

A Kilt Kut Suit Coat and Vest

I started with a standard Argyle style jacket and changed the following things.

I straightened the front of the jacket to create a three button closure.
    I removed the epaulettes.
    I removed the scalloping and buttoning of the pocket flaps and made them work exposed or tucked in.

I removed the gauntlet Argyle cuff and added a regular, 3 button open cuff like that found on a regular suit coat.

And finally I had the jacket cut just a bit fuller in the waist to suit N. American body types.

I offer this jacket in 84 different fabrics including the standard Barathea, and many Tweeds including windowpanes.

As all of my jackets are made one at a time they are all, in essence, made-to-measure.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Steve's correct as he stated above. They are very similar. I do know that Steve was more involved in the process of altering the pattern to make the 'fit' of the jacket a bit different from the standard.

Our Wallace Jacket / Vest is made to the tailor's standard specs... no epaulettes, suit flap pockets, 3 button front to jacket, Crail (1) or 3 button cuff. It's basically a bit more 'modern' version of a kilt jacket made by simplifying the fancy bits.

While we offer the "Wallace Jacket and Vest" on the website in black barathea or black herringbone, in truth, the same jacket can be configured on our Tweed Jacket and Vest page by selecting the options described above in a plethora of tweed options.

Either way, whether you order from Freedom Kilts or USA Kilts, you'll get a well made jacket.
    Last edited by RockyR; 4th February 15 at 07:55 AM.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RockyR For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen a nice tweed Wallace that Cole (KiltedCole) had made through Rocky. It is quite stunning!

IW
    Vestis virum reddit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anybody else noticed - Where but on XMarks would you get competitors being this supportive of one-another? So proud to be a member!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

8. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's a weird industry, Bill. In most industries, competitors are kind of "cut throat". In highland wear, most of the competitors know each other and so long as they are nice / honorable people, we're happy to refer customers back and forth. It's very civil and I like it this way. :-)

Sure, you have your bad apples as far as vendors are concerned, but they're fewer and further between.

10. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to RockyR For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to second what Rocky says. If I know that the person will give a quality product at a reasonable price and back it up with exceptional customer service I don't mind referring a customer to them.

Rocky often has different products than I do. I have gladly sent customers, who are looking for what Rocky offers, to him if I don't carry it.

This is one of those things that make this forum the unique place that it is.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

12. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post: