X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this needs to be said/read

I often notice on the board, little comments like:

"He's batting for the other team"...etc...little "shots" about being gay. Most of the men assume that the women on the site all want to look "pretty/sexy" and make comments that may not be directly nasty, but can be painful or frustrating in their implications or lack of understanding. Usually the comments made are derogatory, or perhaps not directly so, but still derogatory by implication.

I don't want to get into an argument about whether being gay or being a lesbian is good, bad or indifferent. I don't want to get into an argument about the morality, or amorality of anybody's sexual orientation. "PC" on this forum stands for "Prince Charlie" , OK? This is a kilt forum, not a "gender-morality forum". HOWEVER, I DO want to bring up this one thing...

We have a significant number of gay men and lesbian women who are regular posters on X Marks the Scot. Part of our population is gay or lesbian. So when you or I make these little "comments" or merrily charge forward with our "assumptions", just be aware that we may be stomping on someone's feelings, OK? I've had messages in my mailroom more than once from a number of members of X Marks when I've tried to inject a little bit of "awareness" into a thread that has turned hurtful.

Just be aware of the issue, eh? That's all. Thanks.

Mods, if this thread even shows a HINT of turning into a moral discussion about gender, please lock it down immediately. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In full agreement.

Rob

Southern Breeze is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good points. Rather than lock it, how about stickying it? Just a thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My late biological father was a transgendered lesbian, such statements as to be derogitory to the GLBT community hurt me very personally. They always seem rude, misplaced, and never appropriate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no thought whatsoever, than anybody actively posting on X Marks the Scot is purposefully posting hurtful stuff. It's just not happening and I hope it never does. No, what happens is that we write things without thinking, and well....it happens.

It's not going to stop completely, I don't expect that. But if we all stop once in a while and think "Is what I'm about to write going to stomp on someone else's feelings?" (unless of course they deserve it )....then X Marks will be a happier place, all 'round.

Or so it seems to me, from where I sit.

I'm not advocating being Mister Sweetness and Light all the time. I'm not advocating that people should stop writing what they think. I'm just suggesting that there is an ISSUE, here, and that people can be aware of it when they post.

...and that is entirely enough said, about that.

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    ...and that is entirely enough said, about that.
    Masculinity and Femininity have nothing to do with sexual preference.

From our Forum rules

Hate Speech/Hate Groups
    This forum will not tolerate hate speech in any manner. This includes but is not limited to sex, color, race, religion, creed, or sexual preference.

It is assumed by the owner and Moderating staff of X Marks the Scot that our members will remain Ladies and Gentlemen and show courtesy and respect to each other at all times

Since a reminder has been posted to the forum and the poster has noted that the point has been made without need for further comment we close this thread.

Sincerely

The Owner and Staff of XMTS
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand