X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel with a kilt

As a retired consultant who flew for food for many years, I travel light with just a roll on bag that can be placed in the overhead and am curious how to travel with a kilt other than wearing it. My bag is 20 inches long and my kilt is 24.5 inches tall.

I have seen the carry on bags that can handle a rolled up kilt, but they seem to long for either the overhead compartments or under the seat in front of me and in any case, the airlines only allow one carry on.

I am also looking for shipping options such as a tube that could hold both the rolled up kilt and my sgian dubh which won't be allowed in the passenger compartment in any case.

Best practices?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had good luck rolling a kilt into a gently used tripod case. It fit perfectly and with the shoulder strap it was a breeze to carry about. Kilt was in prime shape on arrival.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When travelling light I do not have an 8-yard 16oz woollen kilt, but a USAkilt casual. That does not weigh more than trousers and occupies about the same amount of space in the luggage.
    If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done.
    ---
    Ludwig Wittgenstein (26 April 1889 – 29 April 1951)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt weight

My one kilt is 8 yards of 13 oz wool so takes some space. Checked out a four inch mailing tube and waist band was too much. Any experience in checking kilt carriers on airplanes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have travelled on four transatlantic flights (two trips there and back) with a kilt roll in addition to checked luggage and one carry-on piece. No problem whatever.
    It may depend on where your travelling is, and also on the airline, but on the flights I mention you can have an extra checked in item for an additional cost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have travelled on four transatlantic flights (two trips there and back) with a kilt roll in addition to checked luggage and one carry-on piece. No problem whatever.
    It may depend on where your travelling is, and also on the airline, but on the flights I mention you can have an extra checked in item for an additional cost. In case you are afraid the checked luggage may go missing and your kilt be lost, obviously you should insure it for its replacement cost.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used a kilt roll when only taking carry on - no problems - but maybe remove the kilt pin if you use one. Mine is made from antler but even then it was questioned at security in NZ, until one of the security guys colleagues (a fellow kilt wearer) intervened. He just asked, if it was a kilt pin and then waived it through.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Art box

I am contemplating a shipping box for artwork. They come large enough for kilt and sgian dubh. I figure FedEx each way. Has anyone tried this?
    Last edited by RGM1; 19th June 24 at 04:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't there a way to fold a kilt into a suitcase?
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Folding kilt

I watched a video where they showed the process of folding a kilt so that is an option, however, my sense is it will leave a line.

My best sense from this thread is my wife and I consolidate our carry on's, I get a kilt carrier and leave my sgian dubh at home.

May also.get a ki!t pin that won't be hassled by TSA.
    Last edited by RGM1; 20th June 24 at 05:42 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast