X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MOD Cantle Newly Bagged

Late last year I came upon a leopard coat from the 1910s and was asked to use some to rebag this MOD cantle. The owner also wanted some tassels to swing as well. I finished this a few months ago, but hadn’t shared it here. I’m very pleased with it, and the owner absolutely loves the end result.

IMG_0309.jpg

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to 12stones For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12stones View Post
    Late last year I came upon a leopard coat from the 1910s and was asked to use some to rebag this MOD cantle. The owner also wanted some tassels to swing as well. I finished this a few months ago, but hadn’t shared it here. I’m very pleased with it, and the owner absolutely loves the end result.

IMG_0309.jpg
    Very nice. I have one with Ocelot fur. One has to be careful where one wears them tough.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_0309.jpg
    Now that's a thing of beauty..!

When re-bagging these hinged MoD cantles, I find I have to be careful to limit the thickness of the leather where it mounts around the internal bosses, and to make the holes the bosses pass through a slightly larger diameter than seems instinctive, so that the snap-fasteners can 'bite' sufficiently.

Do you have the same concerns using fur?

The snap-fasteners, I find, have the irritating habit of springing-off the bosses, so my solution is to use C-type circlips - which are a great success.

But the problem of the leather/fur thicknes remains, and it's a trial to get the clips into place without harming the lining.

Incidentally, on the genuine 18th century sporrans with this kind of hinged cantle that I have been fortunate enough to handle and examime in detail, the side tassels are more than simple decoration. The braided cord suspending the tassel takes a specific in-out lacing route that includes a loop over the side boss of the hinge, in addition to the gusset.

The intention, it seems, is to give added security to the sides as internal divisions or compartments, reinforced with wire hoops, are included in these old sporrans. A novel idea that could be easily revived, I think.

Perhaps in these modern 'enlightened' days, we should reclassify vintage furs as 'faux', as in faux-moderne, to save kilties from the paint-hurling brigade. I once heard the snide comment (not directed at me, fortunately) 'Wear it with pride: an animal died...'

So you never know...
    Last edited by Troglodyte; 4th June 24 at 08:45 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    Now that's a thing of beauty..!

When re-bagging these hinged MoD cantles, I find I have to be careful to limit the thickness of the leather where it mounts around the internal bosses, and to make the holes the bosses pass through a slightly larger diameter than seems instinctive, so that the snap-fasteners can 'bite' sufficiently.

Do you have the same concerns using fur?

The snap-fasteners, I find, have the irritating habit of springing-off the bosses, so my solution is to use C-type circlips - which are a great success.

But the problem of the leather/fur thicknes remains, and it's a trial to get the clips into place without harming the lining.
    Thank you. Yes, it's definitely a concern with fur. Especially this because I had to reinforce the hide with another piece of leather, so skiving and ensuring that the fasteners stay in place was a challenge. Also, it can have a tendency to interfere with the clasp making opening it difficult if not done well. I would love to see how you use the C-type clips you mentioned.

Incidentally, on the genuine 18th century sporrans with this kind of hinged cantle that I have been fortunate enough to handle and examime in detail, the side tassels are more than simple decoration. The braided cord suspending the tassel takes a specific in-out lacing route that includes a loop over the side boss of the hinge, in addition to the gusset.

The intention, it seems, is to give added security to the sides as internal divisions or compartments, reinforced with wire hoops, are included in these old sporrans. A novel idea that could be easily revived, I think.
    Another thing I would love to see. Do you happen to have any pictures from that examination?

Perhaps in these modern 'enlightened' days, we should reclassify vintage furs as 'faux', as in faux-moderne, to save kilties from the paint-hurling brigade. I once heard the snide comment (not directed at me, fortunately) 'Wear it with pride: and animal died...'

So you never know...
    I definitely understand where you're coming from here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Very nice. I have one with Ocelot fur. One has to be careful where one wears them tough.
    I just obtained my own MOD cantle and will be making 3 interchangeable bags for myself: 1 leopard, 1 ocelot, and 1 serval. I love the snap boss/fastener mechanism on these cantles for that ease of change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to see how you use the C-type clips you mentioned.
    Attachment 43562 Attachment 43563 Attachment 43564

Here's the MoD original, a Margaret Mrrison re-bagging with replacement snaps on a four-stud cantle, and my own use of C-type circlips on a five-stud version - which are a bit more discrete in their fitting, but a more of a bother to get on and off.

DSCF6268.jpg DSCF6284.jpg

Here's a 'real' hinged cantle (not the sporran I mentioned, as those picture are evading me at the moment) but you can see how sophisticated the attachment was. The outer bag appears to be rivetted onto the studs, and the liner placed so it covers the 'works' and keeps the bag neat.

The division I mentioned is a vertical panel inside the sporran bag, attached to the gusset all around the edge, with the top edge turned and sewn to enclose a wire hoop (to hold the shape and prevent curling) with the ends of the wire wrapped around the inner portion of the side bosses of the hinge, allowing it to pivot or swing forward and back when accessing either of the two compartments of the sporran. Simple, but clever.

The idea ought to be easy enough to replicate with an MoD cantle, but I think the wire hoop would need to be placed after the bag had been sewn and turned the right way out. Otherwise the wire would obstruct the turning-out.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just obtained my own MOD cantle and will be making 3 interchangeable bags for myself: 1 leopard, 1 ocelot, and 1 serval. I love the snap boss/fastener mechanism on these cantles for that ease of change.
    Here's mine, before and after.

MOD Mk2 re-bagged.jpg

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DSCF6150.jpg DSCF6148.jpg DSCF6149.jpg

These failed to show as images for some reason, so here we go again...

This is a different image from the ones I mentioned, but you can get an idea of the internal division

b1d4661bcde8836a86c882b0d5f27223.jpg

13. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Here's mine, before and after.

MOD Mk2 re-bagged.jpg
    That's fantastic! Love that they used the edging to make it look somewhat laced/riveted too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DSCF6150.jpg DSCF6148.jpg DSCF6149.jpg

These failed to show as images for some reason, so here we go again...
    Those look like a great solution. You've never had any issues with them falling off? Mind sharing what size you use as I'd love to give this a try?

This is a different image from the ones I mentioned, but you can get an idea of the internal division

b1d4661bcde8836a86c882b0d5f27223.jpg
    That is quite the set up. I'm going to have to look into this more. I'm not sure if I love the idea or if it seems tedious having that extra division or not.