X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My First Social Outing

So, my wife and I were invited to a birthday/social party for a friend of ours on Sat. night. I just purchased my first casual kilt from USAKilts last weekend in Fraser Hunting, so I figured it would be the perfect time to try it out. I have two contemporary kilts I wear out and about but this was the first time I would be at a social function with people I didn't know, while kilted. I must admit, I was a little nervous.

When we arrived, I did get a "Nice kilt" from the birthday girl, but only in a passing comment kind of way. I really thought she would dig it, so this put me off a little. Her husband, who I have talked to 4-5 times at partys, didn't mention it at all. So, I grab a beer and follow him into the other room where 5-6 guys are watching the Ohio State/Michigan game. I had met one of the guys a couple of times, but didn't know any others. No one acknowleged my kiltedness.

We were there at least an hour without anyone commenting, but i could see everyone checking it out when they thought I wasn't looking. I guess people don't know about peripheral vision.
    Finally, one woman gets up the nerve to ask..." Why are you wearing a kilt?" She said this kind of mockingly.
    I said, "For Laura's birthday".
    "So it's just a special occasion thing?"
    "Not really," I say, "but the way you asked made me think you wouldn't like to hear 'Because I like them...They're comfortable.'
    "Oh"
    At this point my wife jumped in and started talking about the tartan, etc. with this woman.

A little later, after the drinks had been flowing for a while, the same woman brought it up again. But this time she was asking questions in a genuine way, so I talked with her and then everyone else started asking questions also. Everyone was very curious.

Then, the only negative part of the evening.
    My wife, who likes to talk about my kilts, did about a 1/4 kilt lift on me while she was expounding on my tartan. Well this guy starts laughing. I didn't notice, but he says that every woman's eyes went straight to my kilt when she did that...and every man turned his head away. I though it was very funny also. Then his girlfriend, who had been taking pictures, started taking too many pictures of me and I don't think he liked it. He asked me where my purse was, and told him it was a sporran and I wasn't wearing one. He mumbled it again to his girlfriend and then something about a skirt, I decided to ignore him and not spoil the party. That was all he had to say the rest of the evening. He was a little jealous, I suppose.

By the end of the night, this southern fellow, who in the beginning acted like he was very tolerant of people who 'dress like that', went to claiming his own Scottish heritage and how much he liked the kilt.

When we were leaving, the hostess gave me a big hug and told me how sexy she thought I was in the kilt. That made my night.

All in all, a great time and a positive experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right on, sounds like you had a great time. As for the guy calling it a skirt, he was jealous that he didn't have the guts to wear a kilt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mate. Wear what you want, when you want. He sounds like a jealous fool and I'm sure everyone else thought so too.

Glad you had a good time and managed not to rise to the idiot's provocation. Good for you.
    In Scotland, there is no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes. - Billy Connolly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome!
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done, mate!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GallowHill View Post
    .... By the end of the night, this southern fellow, who in the beginning acted like he was very tolerant of people who 'dress like that', went to claiming his own Scottish heritage and how much he liked the kilt....
    I know people like that... the "me too" type of personality - similar to the "been there, done that" type of personality. It's just the manifestation of a bit of old fashioned envy. :mrgreen: Of course they'd never admit it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And ain't it great to be one of the guys talking about your wife's interest in your kilts and tartans instead of one of the guys lamenting his wife doesn't like him wearing kilts.

Be sure and thank your lady in a way she'll appreciate.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    And ain't it great to be one of the guys talking about your wife's interest in your kilts and tartans instead of one of the guys lamenting his wife doesn't like him wearing kilts.

Be sure and thank your lady in a way she'll appreciate.

Ron
    My wife is very supportive, not just of the kilts but of everything I might like to try. When I first started wearing the kilts, she would give me a little push when she sensed I might be lacking some confidence that day.
    I tell her every day how lucky I am to have her...truly my better half.

Scott

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ummm,....er....Scott....

Any chance your wife has a single sister....???

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done, look like you all had agood time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast