X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trog Log: Transforming a 170-pound weakling into a highland athlete.

I spent the last 7 months completely committed to intending to compete in highland athletics maybe someday--just as soon as I had trained enough/practiced enough/gotten big enough to make sure I didn't look stupid out on the field. In other words, I left myself room to half-*** things just enough so I could beg off with the promise to myself that "next year" would be my year to start.

Well, our resident word-mincer Alan H has recently been letting the wannabes (like me) have it with both barrels. However, as usual, he offered some sound advice for those who wish to cure their running mouths:

Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    If you're so certain that you ARE going to throw, then start a workout log, right now. RIGHT NOW...

Not "someday". Not "next year". Not "after you do a few more things". Now. NOW

You want to step on a competition field next season and see what you can do? Then call yourself a thrower NOW, start working towards your goal, LOG IT so that everybody can see the work you're doing, and so YOU can see the work you're doing, and get on with it.

Are you worried that you're not doing the ideal workout? I have news for you, there IS NO IDEAL WORKOUT.

There's just YOUR workout. so make the commitment. Sign on. Log it. We'll all know when you're slacking off, eh? Use that accountability as a tool to motivate yourself. But whatever you do, dear Lord Above...what EVER you do...

....do it NOW. Not "someday".
    Yeah. So this thread, while it may seem like some self-indulgent, desperate cry for attention (which, of course, it is!) is also a way for me to be accountable in my training and throwing. I could come up with a hundred reasons why I can't maintain a consistent regimen--my 50 minute commute to and from work, my 10 hour workdays, the fact that I'd rather sit on my butt and read a book, blah blah blah. The fact is, I have a pretty good set-up for making it work. I've got an extensive home gym, a supportive family, jury-rigged practice equipment and a prime practice field steps from my front door:

So...hello. My name is Tyler, and I'm a thrower.

As I post my workouts and throwing practice, I invite anyone who's paying attention to give advice, pass judgement, kick me in the seat, or ask me about our new curly fries. There are three throwing events next season in which I've committed to compete. This log, even if I'm the only one reading it, will help get me there.

And anyone who looks at the weight I'm lifting and is tempted to say that your granny can put up more weight, please include her training notes. I'll accept help from any source.

4:30 tomorrow morning, I reacquaint myself with an old friend: deadlifts.

Onward!
    Mister McGoo

A Kilted Lebowski--Taking it easy so you don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hooray! Go Tyler!

From one newbie thrower to another: if I can do it - and I am a world-class procrastinator - then you can too. And there's always the solemn and holy truth that books are also available as audio editions which you can pipe through headphones while doing your workout. Great stuff, specially if you're doing the really boring general-fitness stuff like treadmill or cross trainer or rowing machine.

Also, I think Alan H should adopt "RESIDENT WORD MINCER" as part of his forum signature. He probably won't, him being such a retiring character and all, but y'know...

I'll get my own out of season training log started soon, now the Games have ended here in the UK. Swap you comments!

Have fun with those deadlifts, and don't sprain anything.

Sue

ps. My Granny says landmines are quite the thing for core strength.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to follow your progress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinetikat View Post
    Hooray! Go Tyler!

My Granny says landmines are quite the thing for core strength.

Thank your Granny for me, Sue! I had never heard of landmines, so I watched a video. I like them, in the same way I enjoyed my wisdom teeth being pulled. Except I don't get Vicodin after the landmines...

Today's funfest:

1 mile jog just to loosen the legs and tease the coyotes with my tasty youngish flesh.

10 min. stretching

Deadlifts. 4x10x190 I used a manageable weight since it has been years since I did this movement. (I got scared off after an unrelated back injury) Wanted to practice and remember proper form. Probably be this way for a couple weeks.

A mess of wide and narrow grip chin-ups between DL and squat sets. 15-20 each time.

Landmines! 3x12xbar+45

Squats 3x10x225 (8 reps on 2nd and 3rd set), 2x6x245 Again, I'm slightly leery of free-standing leg movements. Been years since doing anything other than "health club" leg exercises.

Dumbell Rows 3x8x90

Stretching

Okay, so not a huge, @ss-beating workout, but it's a start. Felt good. I need an opinion on how running will fit into the mix. I usually run 3-4 miles at least (and usually at most) 3 times every 7 days. Can I continue this? Should I only do it on days when I'm not beating up my legs? Keep in mind that I run at night and lift in the morning--is that enough time for the legs to rest?

Thanks for the tip, Sue, and thanks for the encouragement, Friday. It will help me immeasurably knowing that there are folks out there watching. Keep me from slacking.
    Mister McGoo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Work!!! If you live in NorCal come out to the Dixon games and throw with us on Sept 29!

Register at http://www.scottishheavyathletics.com/registration.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the commitment to chuck! I know, it's "throw," but that would have ruined my oh so clever alliteration. Good luck!
    "Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days." Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAF View Post
    Congrats on the commitment to chuck! I know, it's "throw," but that would have ruined my oh so clever alliteration. Good luck!
    I completely commiserate with your commitment to clever commentary, though I'd wager if you had the chance, you could also entrance with your assonance dance. But that just sounds dirty.

See? That's why I need this log--I get distracted too easily. Hey! Look! A squirrel!
    Last edited by LitTrog; 11th September 12 at 08:29 PM.
    Mister McGoo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ADDShiny!

From photos, "170-lb weakling" seems self-effacing but perhaps you're just good with Photoshop :P Best of luck on your journey although I doubt I'll be reading along much -- makes my knees hurt just thinking about some of those moves.
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From photos, "170-lb weakling" seems self-effacing but perhaps you're just good with Photoshop :P
    No kidding. From the photos of him, I've been wondering why he isn't already competing. He'd likely beat most of the guys I see competing already.

Oh, let's be honest. He's dreamy!

Tyler, I look forward to your progress. My 135-pound ACTUAL weakling self may just be inspired. Not to compete in Highland Games (Good Lord, that would be hilarious), but just to build up some muscle tone and find a shape other than "spongy-soft and trending towards round". Your workout log may give me some ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alan H made a reference to Charles Atlas in another thread, so that statement is just a nod to the old ads--"I used to be a 90 pound weakiling unttil I used the Atlas dynamic resistance..." or something like that. I will say, though, that compared to the beasts I've seen throwing, I feel like their bookish little brother.

So I've got pretty good-sized arms. As I understand it, they're pretty useless in getting a weight up over a bar. I've been running and light lifting with my legs the past few years, and that's where I need work. Used to have good explosive power down there--not so much now. Plus, I'll be learning to throw properly, without blowing out a joint.

And Tobus, if anything good results from anything I do, I'll be a very happy man. Make sure you let me know if this log helps you at all--I can tell all my detractors what a positive role-model I've become!
    Mister McGoo

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast