X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Kilt pin bling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt pin bling

When I initially ordered my kilt outfit, my head wasn't really around the bling aspect of the kilt pin, etc. I ordered a nice variant of the clan Murray kilt pin which I expect to wear most of the time but decided I wanted something a bit more special for dressy occasions. I first acquired a jade bar which at 55 mm seems too delicate before acquiring the jade sword at 75 mm which seems right, however, now I am playing around with the idea of both of them as shown in the picture. Thoughts? The tartan is Murray of Atholl
    Jade Kilt Pins smaller.jpg.
    Not sure how to rotate picture. Idea is sword vertical with bar below.

I have no association with New Zealand other than finding it a beautiful country when I got to visit.
    Last edited by RGM1; 9th July 24 at 12:13 PM.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RGM1 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know very little about jade, so the question I ask is, how brittle is it? A factor worth consideration. I shouldn't worry too much whether the pin goes with the tartan or not------- it looks fine to me-------- actually though in reality, if you like the pin then wear it. Its that simple.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jade is hard

Jade is quite hard so I don't think it will break easily under normal use.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RGM1 View Post
    Jade is quite hard so I don't think it will break easily under normal use.
    Then wear it, if you so wish.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

weight

I reviewed a lengthy thread on kilt pins and picked up a couple of points. Kilt pin acts as a weight on corner of kilt so addition of bar probably helps hold it down. Second, a typical length for a kilt pin is 100 mm and my pin is 75 mm so the bar gives that additional scale. Thanks for feedback.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RGM1 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just so you know, some people prefer not to have a kilt pin at all and that is perfectly acceptable. Also when the breeze really blows there are not many kilt pins heavy enough to be much help should THE severe gust of wind arrive. If it does arrive and blows the edge of the kilt away and perhaps upwards, nothing will be "on show" as the inner apron will save the day.

In a serious hurricane then you need to watch out as the whole kilt could blow over your head, but that is a very rare event. In the event of the rare serious wind, then holding your arms and hands down by the sides of the kilt....just in case..... is not a bad idea.

I expect you know not to pin the outer apron to the inner apron, but in case you don't, should the outer apron catch on something you could easily tear the kilt apron..
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 10th July 24 at 10:19 AM.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having had to play the pipes in very windy conditions several times over the years, both hands being occupied on the chanter, I can attest that kilt pins don't help.

It would take several heavy lead weights attached all around the bottom of the kilt.

What has worked is wearing the biggest heaviest sporran I have, wearing it rather low, and playing backed up against a wall or statue etc.

Actually there have been times when the wind was so strong I had to pipe while doing a wide 3-point stance with by back leaning against a wall and my legs splayed out. People out in the open were literally blown over.

The problem is that we have a cemetery located in a canyon that functions like a Wind Tunnel during our Santa Ana winds.

I looked it up- at their worst they're stronger than I thought:

In early December 2011, the Santa Ana winds were the strongest yet recorded...sustained winds at 97 mph (156 km/h), and gusts up to 167 mph (269 km/h).

I know I've piped in 80mph winds.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 11th July 24 at 02:18 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say that I generally don't wear kilt pins.

I do have a lifelong love of the classic Sterling Silver kilt pins that appeared in the Interwar Years made by the likes of Robert Allison, Henderson & Horner, John Hart, Alexander Ritchie, etc.

Up through the 1960s these swords, targes, axes, dirks, etc along with the older plain blanket pins and grouse claw pins were pretty much the only kilt pins you would see.

These pins were generally delicate-looking and quite light in weight.

I was delighted to find this classic Henderson & Horner 1950s Sterling Silver kilt pin for $15 on Ebay, and I do wear it when I want a bit of classic subdued bling.

Here it is with a c1960 Edinburgh shop catalogue.

The now-common Clan Crest kilt pins hit the mass market with the firms Art Pewter Silver (1968) and Carrick (1971).
    Last edited by OC Richard; 11th July 24 at 02:41 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RGM1 View Post
    When I initially ordered my kilt outfit, my head wasn't really around the bling aspect of the kilt pin, etc. I ordered a nice variant of the clan Murray kilt pin which I expect to wear most of the time but decided I wanted something a bit more special for dressy occasions. I first acquired a jade bar which at 55 mm seems too delicate before acquiring the jade sword at 75 mm which seems right, however, now I am playing around with the idea of both of them as shown in the picture. Thoughts? The tartan is Murray of Atholl
    Jade Kilt Pins smaller.jpg.
    Not sure how to rotate picture. Idea is sword vertical with bar below.

I have no association with New Zealand other than finding it a beautiful country when I got to visit.
    My personal opinion is to just wear the sword as I feel the two pins together appear cluttered.

Otherwise I think it’s a very cool pin. I’ve always liked the broadsword styled kilt pins you sometimes see.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thoughts?

My own thoughts are that horizontal pins on a kilt are jarring to the eye. No pin works fine as does one pin. More than one and it gets too busy.

18. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to PiperPadre For This Useful Post: