X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When is a PC too formal?

My wife and I are taking a deferred honeymoon to Scotland at the end of the month and we’d both love to have a bit of a black tie night. Would it be inappropriate to wear the PC (along with her in a formal gown) to a very nice restaurant for dinner one of the nights we’re there? Not sure what formality levels are typical in Scotland. Where I live in the US, it would be a bit odd to go to even a nice restaurant in a tux. Though I suppose a bit odd is fine so long as it’s not wholly inappropriate.

Thanks in advance!

PS - Would love any recommendations for restaurants where black tie might be appropriate. Thanks!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Awex14 View Post
    My wife and I are taking a deferred honeymoon to Scotland at the end of the month and we’d both love to have a bit of a black tie night. Would it be inappropriate to wear the PC (along with her in a formal gown) to a very nice restaurant for dinner one of the nights we’re there? Not sure what formality levels are typical in Scotland. Where I live in the US, it would be a bit odd to go to even a nice restaurant in a tux. Though I suppose a bit odd is fine so long as it’s not wholly inappropriate.

Thanks in advance!

PS - Would love any recommendations for restaurants where black tie might be appropriate. Thanks!
    You don't say where you are staying, Edinburgh?

I attend a number of dinners each year where the Dress Code is Black Tie, in fact, I'm going to one on Saturday evening, but they are always private occasions, associated with Balls etc. I've worn a smart charcoal jacket and kilt to dinner in a restaurant occasionally but never Black Tie, that would be very unusual, to the point of being strange unless you were going on to a Black Tie event.

Whilst I understand you sentiment, if it were me I would avoid dressing to that level of formality unless you really want to be the centre of attention.

3. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't say where you are staying, Edinburgh?
    We’ll be starting off in Edinburgh (August 31st - September 2nd) before heading up north towards Inverness, over to Skye, and back south past Loch Lomond and through Glasgow (September 9th). The fanciest places I know we’re eating are the Witchery by the Castle in Edinburgh and the restaurant at the Cameron House hotel on Loch Lomond.

I've worn a smart charcoal jacket and kilt to dinner in a restaurant occasionally but never Black Tie, that would be very unusual, to the point of being strange unless you were going on to a Black Tie event.

Whilst I understand you sentiment, if it were me I would avoid dressing to that level of formality unless you really want to be the centre of attention
    This tracks with how things tend to work in the US as well. I figured it would probably be the same but was holding out hope. Took a brief look for events, but it was hard to find something in that time frame that anybody could go to.

Thanks for the insight!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't wear a black bow tie! One does not want to be mistaken for staff!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the Witchery and Cameron House, you are unlikely to see a tine never mind a PC. Trousers, shoes, and a decent shirt should suffice.

Black tie affairs tend to be invited events. For example, the Institute of Brewing and Distilling annual dinner is black tie.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Hirsty For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've eaten at the Witchery. No black tie seen.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kilted2000 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post

I've worn a smart charcoal jacket and kilt to dinner in a restaurant occasionally but never Black Tie...
    I'll second the charcoal kilt jacket, or dark blue, as looking smart but not overstepping the bounds and looking ostentatiously overdressed.

Something like this but no hat and ordinary black brogues rather than Ghillie Brogues.

Last edited by OC Richard; 16th August 24 at 10:55 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I'll second the charcoal kilt jacket, or dark blue, as looking smart but not overstepping the bounds and looking ostentatiously overdressed.

Something like this but no hat and ordinary black brogues rather than Ghillie Brogues.
    Absolutely. This was my version for an event last week.

454944533_1010502920866084_5301540682903376040_n.jpg

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To my eye, I would add green, or brown tweeds and not too loud patterned tweed to be suitable for most kilted non formal dinner events too.

We need to remember that the tweed jacket(in good condition) is not a sports jacket. It is the kilt equivalent of a suit. Leave the battered and tatty tweed kilt jacket for gardening and informal social events such as popping into the local pub for a quick pint or fishing or some such. xx
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 17th August 24 at 01:31 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post: