X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Care/Restoration of Kilt Straps

Folks, I am looking for some advice on how to look after the leather straps on my kilt.
    After I had it dry cleaned, I noticed that the finish on the straps had deteriorated - leaving them dull and slightly rough in patches.

On the advice of the Tandy Leather people I bought some natural shoe polish and have applied that using some gentle heat (warmth really) from an iron through several layers of cloths. (did this as when I applied the polish on at room temperature it simply sat on the surface and did not soak in overnight)

This has improved the appearance somewhat, but I would really like to know if there is something you can recommend which will help the straps last as long as I expect the rest of the kilt to.

In anticipation of your wisdom

Ainslie
    insert signature of your choice here

Paul Henry is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A gentle rub of natural polish sounds the simplest and best, don't be tempted to use "products" and stay clear of "neat's foot oil" which might even exacerbate any damage.

Straps don't last for ever, and sometimes they do need to be replaced, that isn't unusual, so don't worry if they do eventually need to be changed

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul,

Have you any experience with linseed oil? Would you put it in the same category as neat's foot? I've had it recommended to me for sporrans, but have not tried it yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt, one of the problems with linseed oil is that it can take a very long time to dry, infact it usually forms a skin and then dries inwards.It's usually used on wood, and helps with waterproofing, because of it's "skinning"

Most of my experience is with very fine quality leathers that I use with my bookbinding, but I would suggest caution using an "oil" on leather, especially if it in contact with fabric. I used to make book covers out of thick cow hide, sometimes I would gently polish it with a fine wax, or use a little of "4care" fiebings leather care.
    The key thing is I think to do a little test first,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen leather harnesses that were stored for years in a cool, dark cellar and felt dry as a chip, taken out and put into use on a hot, bright day. Suddenly they were glistening bright and you could feel the oiliness on the surface.

High quality waxes are one thing, but oil based substances can be a time delay minefield.

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gents, thanks for the response so far. I guess I'll persist with the natural polish. Is it possible to soften it somehow to make it easier to apply and quicker to be absorbed into the leather?

Ainslie
    insert signature of your choice here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if the polish is in a tin, I would suggest leaving it on a radiator for a while to soften, but a few very thin coats applied over time are much better than a heavy layer, and less likely to come off on clothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A thought has just come to me. The buckles on so many kilts these days are rubbish. They are made from stamped steel, which means there will be sharp edges to scratch and scour the straps. High quality buckles are cast and will have no sharp edges. Some time spent on a stamped buckle with a small needle file and finished with a nail file could extend the life of straps - maybe forever.

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The British Military Forces use spit - dainty maids use a cup of warm water, Hercule Poirot uses vaseline.

Polish isn't supposed to sink in, you put it on, thinly, onto however many items you are polishing, then go back to where you started and wipe off all the surplus, then go back again and buff to a high gloss.

Anne the Pleater :ootd:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dry cleaner wraps the leather straps with foil before cleaning to proctect the leather. You might ask your to do the same next time.
    B.D. Marshall
    Texas Convener for Clan Keith