X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

View Poll Results: So, what should I decide?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Shadow tartan flashes

1 7.14%
  • "Matching color" flashes

6 42.86%
  • "Matching color" shirt and black bow tie

1 7.14%
  • "Matching color" shirt and white bow tie

0 0%
  • Black shirt and "matching color" bow tie

0 0%
  • White shirt and "matching color" bow tie

12 85.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinth View Post
    Hi Cygnus,

First of all, thank you for your answer, I'll try to tell you more about your interrogations.

- My ceremony is in the evening, and so is the party, so I chose the Prince Charlie over the Argyll, especially because I find it better-looking (and most french people are not able to differenciate the uses of the two anyway).

- I'm planning on buying a blue-stonned Sgian Dubh, as you suspected.

- The question of "tartan flashes" is here very close to "plain black flashes", as it is a Black Shadow tartan, so only the weaving "draws" the lines, the color is plain black, and it needs full light to be visible.

- Fact is: I'm not fond of white, and I don't hesitate to differ a little from the standard when I feel I can... As there is no "mandatory dress code" for the event, and my kilt/suit/jacket/hose/shoes are going to be black, I feared that a white shirt would seem strange on me by being the only white thing... I was planning on a "full black" look (as I nearly always am in full black), with only one secondary color (blue) highlighting the set; so a Royal Blue shirt with black bow tie (I love royal blue), but I then asked myself: "why not a black shirt with royal blue bow tie"... That's why I'm asking for your opinion (I even have a white shirt on the side "just in case").
    I'm very glad to read that the event and festivities are in the evening - and the sgian dubh sounds like a nice touch (though I don't often wear one - for various reasons).

I am probably the exception here when I say that I think it's okay in certain less-formal (but still "black tie") situations to wear a coloured bow tie, and a graduation party would certainly qualify - especially if your tie is in the colours of your school or a particular school club.

I have often said that the black-on-black-on-black look, 20 years from now, will be viewed in much the same way as the powder blue tuxedo with ruffled shirt is today. That is, I think, what MacRobert's Reply is getting at in his post - the white shirt and black tie are really timeless, so minor deviations will look less "faddish" years from now.

Having said that, it is your day and, for reasons that I don't understand, black formal shirts are becoming more and more common - so do as you please; though I hope you remember the "white shirt" crowd when you're sitting 20 years from now and wondering why you chose all black attire.
    Last edited by Cygnus; 8th January 14 at 07:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would still go for a white shirt (I had my black-on-black-on-black phase and am happy that it is over).
    You might consider a blue three button waistcoat (buyakilt does offer one in navy blue) obviously it's gonna cost something but it would be a possibility to show some blue and still be in traditional black bow tie and white shirt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    White shirt, black bow tie is the way to go, forget matching or black shadow tartan flashes, try red. No need for a SD.
    I too would forgo the sgian dubh, white shirt, black self tie bow tie, and match your flashes to a pocket handkerchief to add a splash of colour. As Jock has suggested, red would work well, as would blue, yellow, or even grey.
    Congrats on your graduation as well!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would wear a white shirt and black self tie bow tie. If you do not know how to tie a bow tie do learn it make a difference in how the outfit looks. Here is a video that can help if you need it:
    http://youtu.be/VJv4Qh7zR3E
    I think the black shirt would just be too much you need some break from the black or your entire outfit will in essence disappear. As for the hose and flashes I`d say wear the black hose if you`d like but I would suggest blue flashes or better yet garter ties, they are in my experience far more comfortable than flashes. You can find blue flashes here:
    http://www.scottishkilthose.com/garter_ties.html
    Another thought if you have the money and time for it, as it seems to me that your outfit is crying out for some colour, would be a pair of diced hose in black and blue here is where I got my diced hose, it is an expense but it is well worth it.
    http://kiltshop.scottishtartans.org/custom_diced.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    White shirt, black bow tie is the way to go, forget matching or black shadow tartan flashes, try red. No need for a SD.
    I agree with Jock 100% on this. The amount of 'black' or dark you are considering is going to come off very 'goth-like'.
    If that is the look you are going for...cool, but a bit of variance in color selection isn't a bad thing. Red flashes will look grand with that Shadow tartan. White, pleated tuxedo shirt with black onyx studs... understated, but elegant. Might I suggest a blue or red boutonnier [to tone with your flashes] to bring it up a notch?
    Rondo

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to rondo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to second this.
    KILTED LABOWSKI

"I imagine a place of brotherhood and peace, a world without war. Then I imagine attacking that place because they would never expect it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume you are wearing academic dress for the ceremony and then there will be social events on the day when you will not be in your gown. The hood and maybe the gown may be pretty colourful and therefore your kilt shirt and jacket in more restrained colours should look great. When you are just in the kilt and jacket, you will need a touch of colour and flashes will help (red is best, blue is fine).
    I like wing collars but I think in Scotland the turn down collars are preferred for Highland dress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Carrick View Post
    I assume you are wearing academic dress for the ceremony and then there will be social events on the day when you will not be in your gown. The hood and maybe the gown may be pretty colourful and therefore your kilt shirt and jacket in more restrained colours should look great.
    Unfortunately, in France (and particularly in my school) we don't have any academic dress, and the event itself is not even a true black-tie event (we're left alone with the choice of clothing we want, and we have everything from nearly white-tie to very informal, I've even seen this type of suit http://img.costumecraze.com/images/v...tume-large.jpg.).
    For this reason, I don't want to appear "too formal", or even too "penguin-like"... I was thinking that considering my black kilt, having a white shirt as the only bright piece of cloth would draw too much attention to the bow tie and the chest... (and I liked this look: http://www.scotclans.com/img/kilts_h...tfit_black.jpg ). It would have been diferent in my mind if I had a colored kilt, I wouldn't have mided as much wearing a white shirt... I know full black is not traditionnal (as well as black hose over white ones, but strangely nobody pointed this), and now I get how many kilt wearers are against the idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the fella in that second picture is wearing his flashes half way down his calf. At this point their not serving their intended purpose of holding up the hose. And they look odd.

He also appears to be wearing his kilt pin on the wrong side.

I get wanting to break the mold a little, but there's good reason to follow advice from the fellas here. Whatever level of formality you choose - as you say it varies for the ceremony - I'd recommend dressing well as it applies to that level. If you go black tie level, adhere to black tie norms. I know the times I've done otherwise, I regretted my appearance later

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasem View Post
    Well the fella in that second picture is wearing his flashes half way down his calf. At this point their not serving their intended purpose of holding up the hose. And they look odd.

He also appears to be wearing his kilt pin on the wrong side.
    Yup, the guy got all wrong, but I was more interested in the "general look", I can easily correct the mistakes on my own suit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast