X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    That's a new one for me too which I'll add to the 'Tartan Myths' mix. It's a bit like the one that claims that a black stripe in the MacDonald of the Isles tartan, and probably others too, was in remembrance of those that died at the Battle of Harlaw in 1411.

Someone obviously started these myths but it's usually impossible to find the source. By contrast, I think I've managed to trace the source of the 'tartan was banned after Culloden/as part of Proscription' myth to an Annex in a book published in 1960.
    It's easily done.

I was once standing shivering on a cold railway station, and turned to my sister and said 'Stations have to be the coldest places known to man. Arctic explorers regularly hang around on empty platforms, to acclimatise for their polar expeditions...'

I later learnt she had taken me at my word, and repeated it widely - backing it up with 'But it's true, my brother told me, and he should know...'

Aye, right. He should know alright - he should know better than to make idiotic comments in the heat (or lack of it) of the moment. But I wonder how many would-be polar adventurers have picked up on the idea and loitered at platform-ends in Euston or Kings Cross.

Now we know what these three were up to...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ce1f659aa55e6b36fbf8163377e5f213.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	43584

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    Exactly..!

Which is why the idea is so bizarre.

Perhaps we should put it about that red in tartan is to represent the blood spilt by Jacobites in the '45, and black stripes are the same as black armbands, so a public display of loss and mourning.

We could go on for ever, giving new meaning to every colour and shade - green for the glens emptied during the Clearances; yellow for the setting sun the emigrant ships sailed towards; blue for the clear Highland skies...

Hey, I'm on a roll now, so look out for my next best-seller - The True Meaning of Tartan Colours - What You've Never Been Told available in all languages and at every tartan-tat shop on the Royal Mile.

Remember, you saw it here first...
    AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Perish the thought!

I think there is enough, well actually more than enough, bunkum written and talked about on the subject already!

Quick somebody, give me a large reviver, before the heart attack arrives.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 8th June 24 at 09:57 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

JPS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a new one for me too which I'll add to the 'Tartan Myths' mix.
    Is there a "Tartan Myths" paper in the works? It would be very entertaining.

The best myths I recall were told to me by Americans and concerned tartans in the British military.

One guy was telling me about the plain khaki kilts worn by Scottish troops in WWI. He showed me his proof: a black & white photo of members of the London Scottish.

Another guy who claimed the same thing showed me a photo of WWI troops wearing kilt aprons.

The most bizarre was the guy who claimed that his grandfather had been Sergeant Major of the Black Watch and that he, alone in the regiment, had permission to wear his personal Clan tartan while in uniform on parade.

Of course there's the usual stuff about a complete system of Clan tartans which existed from the earliest times, reinforced by the likes of Outlander which shows Clan tartans existing in the 1740s.

Everyone knows the significance of white in tartans: adding white makes any tartan a "dress tartan" which is the only proper tartan to wear with your Prince Charlie, white socks, semi-dress sporran, and high-laced Ghillie brogues. (Don't forget to have your buckle peeking out from under your waistcoat.)

The myths I'm constantly battling are about bagpipes. Sadly the same utterly unfounded myths are repeated over and over in Highland Games programmes, by prominent pipers, by museum displays, and by practically any article or book that mentions bagpipes.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 8th June 24 at 03:41 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An authentic tartan worn at Culloden.

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an aside, when was this and who was the author?
    Here you go, Peter...

Braemar Gathering 2011 souvenir brochure feature article, with the STA credited accordingly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6819.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	224.8 KB 
ID:	43588 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6820.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	43589 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6821.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	227.9 KB 
ID:	43590

I'm keeping myself busy at GFM inputting data, as they are in the throes of digitising their collection archive (some 30,000 items in total) and I've got all the books in their library to 'process' - so I keep finding little gems like this...

A.
    Last edited by Troglodyte; 9th June 24 at 11:30 AM.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    An authentic tartan worn at Culloden.

Mmmm, nice...

Highland Division regulation-issue Tropical Whites, do you think..?

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmmm, nice...

Highland Division regulation-issue Tropical Whites, do you think..?
    Or, arctic camouflage and with a bit of good fortune it would blend in with the surroundings so well that no one will see it!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

12. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The author writes that, at a lecture given on the subject, his authority and knowledge was challenged by one of the audience with the statement that white in tartan signifies it was worn at the Battle of Culloden. Why did he not know?
    So only Highland Dancers were aloud to fight/dance at the battle? lol
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVgTGPvWpU7cAv4KJ4cWRpQ

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Logan View Post
    So only Highland Dancers were allowed to fight/dance at the battle?
    Or perhaps they're the only ones who keep up the tradition of authentic Culloden-worn tartans.

Here they are https://www.inglesbuchan.com/highland-dance-tartans/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first joined my local St. Andrews society as a teen, there was a gentleman who everyone thought of as the kilt expert. Several people told me to see him about what to wear. Some of his wisdom was about the colors in one's tartan. I can only remember two, both of which turned out to be myths. They were a gold stripe represented loyalty to the (English) crown and a white stripe represented Christianity as opposed to pagan religious affiliation of an entire clan.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AFS1970 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast