X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Salt Lake City, Utah, United States of America
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Family Kilt Theft

My mom came out to visit from North Central California (Uninvited, and unannounced).

My wife and I had a business meeting to attend. My mom does not get to see my kids to often, so I let her babysit. While we are gone my mom and my wife's mom get together, and plot to take control of our lives, because they were worried about us. My mom (maybe with my wife's mom's help) stole my kilt and took it to her house. I can not have it back until I present a professional image to the UT business community, get a job (not get a business going), and clear up clutter in my room.
    Last edited by jordanjm; 16th December 07 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Changed Title

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Want me to get it back? Send me her addy and we can mount a rescue operation most rikkitik.
    Garrai Eoin!! - Garryowen!

Chris
    "Trooper, look at the Master Parachutist's Badge on my chest. Do I look like a tanker to you?"

Salt Lake City, Utah, United States of America
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdjmchris View Post
    Want me to get it back? Send me her addy and we can mount a rescue operation most rikkitik.
    My mom told me if she hears from my religious leaders that I should have them back, they will send them back.

They took both my kilts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck, and hope they don't give it to the used clothing people.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Horrible news! Someone stealing your kilt because they like it is bad enough, but when it's a familial conspiracy to remove it from your wardrobe, it's even worse!

I've read several posts recently about peoples' families having major issues with the kilt, and I can't understand it. It is, after all, just an article of clothing. Even if there is no Scottish blood in the family, it's just clothing. I wear a beret occasionally, but I most assuredly have no French ancestry.
    [B][COLOR="DarkGreen"]John Hart[/COLOR]
    Owner/Kiltmaker - Keltoi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell em flat out they are to have no contact with you, your wife or your kids until the kilts are returned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

I don't know what to tell you about that, it doesn't sound too good.
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanjm View Post
    My mom told me if she hears from my religious leaders that I should have them back, they will send them back.

They took both my kilts.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whooooooooa. WAY out of line. No no, I would in no way go along with this... whatever this is...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, wow. Talk about controlling behavior! No wonder you live in a different state! My mom bought me my "tank" as a gift last year. All of my others are homemade, with varying success.

Some thoughts: If you don't want to make major waves with mom, don't refuse to have contact. Instead, write her a letter and tell her politely that you feel you are old enough to make your own wardrobe decisions. Ask her to please return your kilts to you. Do not mkae it a contest of wills, find some way to say that she has raised you well and you do not believe that your self-esteem or self-expression should be based on a fear of what other people think. Isn't that what she raised you to believe?

A letter is better than a phone call because she can't get you reacting emotionally and then treat you like a baby. She also can't just hold it away from her ear. When my mother in law was causing some troubles, my wife wrote a letter, saying only what had been said in person and on the phone many times before. The letter did the trick that would never work with just voice. And it only costs a stamp.

You might also approach a religious leader and ask if he will write a letter to her stating that as a grown man, it is appropriate for you to make your own wardrobe decisions. If she places a great deal of authority in the hands of the church, have him also point out that she is out of bounds here in trying to treat a grown man like a child. (By the time you have a wife, you are a grown man, so she has no right to act otherwise.) I don't know how hard it will be to find someone to write that letter, but I do know that if I needed one from a Catholic priest, I'd be able to get one in a matter of hours. If she is wanting a letter of this sort, try to make it clear that she has placed herself in the wrong, here.

Barring that, it is almost Christmas. Tell us what your size is and whether you prefer modernistic kilts (like UKs) or kilts that look more like the classic. Someone here might have a "shrunken" kilt he can donate. You can then send her a photo from Christmas celebrations she isn't a part of, in which you are wearing a kilt in spite of her.

-Patrick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My deepest sympathy, wouldn't even know where to begin or what to suggest. It isn't right for them to interfere like this but the situation must be handled delicately. It sounds like they are trying to help but going about it in a very wrong manner. Unfortunatly sometimes dealing with family is more difficult than dealing with strangers. I would let them know that what she did if not right and unexceptable, that you are an adult and this not the way to handle a situation.Let us know what happens.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast