X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sporran-Phobes Unite!

It looks great...I don't want to steal this thread, but I have a problem that I'm not sure has been addressed before, but I feel like I'm a sporranaphobic...Apart from my SWK nightstalker, I don't like the way they look or draw attention away from the kilt.

Am I the only one who feels this way??? Please point me in the right direction or thread (should one exist)...I need to do something...I mean, I wear them, but not with confidence...I just think that Sporrans are too gaudy...I don't want to be offensive...I really think it's me that has the problem, I'm just wondering if anyone else had the same experiences and how did they overcome them.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or as moderators, move the post???

Respectfully,

Chase

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chase,

I thought that it would be best to move your post to its own thread in the General Kilt forum.

I actually have the opposite feeling, where I am uncomfortable without the sporran. To me it just completes the whole kilt look.

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to try wearing the sporran to one side, see "Rob Roy" movie. In that position it is still functional and handy but will be less distracting and allow a clear view of the tartan (apron). The other option is to buy Freedom Kilts exclusively with their hidden pockets.
    Gentleman of Substance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm. Sorry, I can't relate. I'm somewhat of a sporran-junkie these days. (See avatar)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with Panache, I really think a sporran completes the whole look and the kilt looks strange without one to me.

That said, perhaps you could try to see what features of various sporrans appeal to you. Make a mental list of the sort of looks that aren't quite as bad to your eye as others. By this, I mean size, colors, decorations, flap and closure style. There are some sporrans I don't really like the look of, while others are absolutely wonderful.

What is it about the Nightstalker that you like? With so many options out there, there might be some you could get used to. Good luck figuring out what works best for you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel very uncomfortable about the fancy sporrans for my own personal style of kilt wearing. It's a bit like the giant shiny belt buckles and so on. In some cases the sporran is in the way, but other times it's nice to have it there...

And of course, it doesn't matter to me if others like to wear the fancy stuf. I just don't like to wear those.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the nightstalkr because it's modern, stealthy, cutting edge, maybe smaller? I have searched for something more appealing and less loud...Believe it or not, I feel the same way about saddle bags on a harley davidson...Maybe I'm just weird?

Bob C is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    The beautiful Catskill Mountains of Upstate New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Panache. A kilt doesn't look right without a sporran, or a belt, for that matter.

Too much tartan, unencumbered, begins to look like a hostess skirt.
    Virtus Ad Aethera Tendit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm of the opinion that the sporran completes the overall look of the outfit.

That being said, just like with any clothing or accessory, it can be overdone. For me, it all depends on my mood. If I want to be less conspicous (or at least as best you can in a kilt), there are some relatively plain sporrans out there. If I want to stand out a bit more, there are sporrans for that as well.

As far as covering up the tartan, I figure if you've got 8-9 yards af tartan wrapped around you, it doesn't hurt to cover up a bit of it.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Crocker View Post
    I feel very uncomfortable about the fancy sporrans. It's a bit like the giant shiny belt buckles and so on. In some cases the sporran is in the way, but other times it's nice to have it there...
    Last time I wore my kilt and belt to school someone congratulated me on my winning the WWF championship (the belt buckle is a bit on the large size, but that seems to be the norm).

I'm also not crazy about the furry sporrans, especially the 'masks', but I am intrigued by them.
    His Grace Lord Stuart in the Middle of Fishkill St Wednesday

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast