X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In celebration of new hose: The Happening movie picture colon kilted.

So, last night myself, and a few friends ended up at another friend's apartment. She is moving away from the humdrum of this small city and is going back to New Orleans to pursue her culinary education. So, of course, she cooked a fantastic dinner.
    I, in the meantime, was celebrating the arrival of some particularly wonderful hose, courtesy of the lovely folks at Hamilton Dry Goods. They are amazing.
    After the dinner (which was delicious- good god, that woman can cook!) I went to see The Happening with a friend and my sister. Kilted, of course, the whole night through.
    I got a mixture of one reactions. This being a small agricultural town, nobody knows what a kilt is. A little girl stuck her head under it... just because, apparently. A fellow with a popped collar and a backward Aero cap stared until I told him to blink. A group of young girls laughed as they passed, saying to each other, "He's wearing a skirt!" "It's kind of cute; I think I want one like it." During the movie, the lady next to me reached over, caressed my let/kilt and asked, "Where did you get this skirt? It's lovely." On the way out, a series of young snots figured they would laugh, but since I'm about two feet taller than them and have at least a hundred pounds on them, a simple "Something funny?" put a stop to that.

Small towns, I think, are not the best place to go kilted. Heh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by H.M. Murdock View Post
    So, last night myself, and a few friends ended up at another friend's apartment. She is moving away from the humdrum of this small city and is going back to New Orleans to pursue her culinary education. So, of course, she cooked a fantastic dinner.
    I, in the meantime, was celebrating the arrival of some particularly wonderful hose, courtesy of the lovely folks at Hamilton Dry Goods. They are amazing.
    After the dinner (which was delicious- good god, that woman can cook!) I went to see The Happening with a friend and my sister. Kilted, of course, the whole night through.
    I got a mixture of one reactions. This being a small agricultural town, nobody knows what a kilt is. A little girl stuck her head under it... just because, apparently. A fellow with a popped collar and a backward Aero cap stared until I told him to blink. A group of young girls laughed as they passed, saying to each other, "He's wearing a skirt!" "It's kind of cute; I think I want one like it." During the movie, the lady next to me reached over, caressed my let/kilt and asked, "Where did you get this skirt? It's lovely." On the way out, a series of young snots figured they would laugh, but since I'm about two feet taller than them and have at least a hundred pounds on them, a simple "Something funny?" put a stop to that.

Small towns, I think, are not the best place to go kilted. Heh.
    Having lived in small towns all my life, I understand. But what I don't understand is your rather cryptic title. What has your colon got to do with anything?
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a reference to the Borat and Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by H.M. Murdock View Post
    It's a reference to the Borat and Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
    I'm an Aqua Teen Hunger Force fan (much to the dismay of my wife) but I haven't seen Borat. Maybe that's why I'm missing it. Oh well.
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    depends on the people not just the town!

i wish i could just stand up and tell people to ask em whats so funny about my kilt, but everyone is like 2 feet taller than me and a 100 lbs heavier...
    Gillmore of Clan Morrison

"Long Live the Long Shirts!"- Ryan Ross

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick the DSM View Post

i wish i could just stand up and tell people to ask em whats so funny about my kilt, but everyone is like 2 feet taller than me and a 100 lbs heavier...
    It's all in the attitude. Just look at Napoleon. (Just messing' with you, Nick! )

Seriously, I think you're at least partly right. Small farm communities do tend to be a little less educated and a little more closed minded. I grew up in them all my life, until recently. But not some are worse than others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'll show you attitude!

it also depends on what kind of community. maybe this is one a close minded and follows a book to go through a day or maybe a small but open minded about other culture than "american".
    Gillmore of Clan Morrison

"Long Live the Long Shirts!"- Ryan Ross

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'll show you attitude!

it also depends on what kind of community. maybe this is one a close minded and follows a book to go through a day or maybe a small but open minded about other culture than "american".
    Well, when you're of European ancestory, "culture" doesn't apply. We don't have one of those. I'm not a Celtic american; I'm white- like mayo or bread. We don't get cool recognition like African- American or Latino. If those people saw a black guy wearing
    they wouldn't have a word to say, other than praise.

And as a funny side note... I googled "african male fashion" and on the first page I found this:

Yes, that's Ewan MacGregor... Go figure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More like 3 feet and 200 lbs....just sayin'.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah...I've mentioned it before but being here in Chicago, we have a lot of men who wear ethnic clothing...lots of Middle Eastern chaps, guys of African ancestry and not a few guys who are actually from Africa who are wearing their Sunday best. Why not the kilt? In fact, most of the fellas who are wearing the ethnic clothing and I give each other that knowing nod to each other as we pass on the street...as if to say, "Hey...we know who we are...what's up with all of these other squares?"

Leaving the White Sox game yesterday (Sox lost to Denver 5-3) there was a young fella ahead of us on the ramps going down from the upper deck and he was wearing the waist band of his way-baggy shorts down around mid thigh so we could all appreciate the maroon satin boxer shorts that he was wearing underneath. Great look . Yet you show up some places in a kilt and it becomes a topic of conversation.

So who can criticize a kilt wearer?

Best

AA